Re: Weighing the benefits of productivity improvements #value

sjagannath@...

Hi Yao,

This is a wonderful topic. Around an year time back, while I developed the business case for instituting an enterprise search (certainly as part of KM initiative) I used same argument. Presented similar numbers of savings/year. But, with this calculation we are probably assuming the search would always provide relevant results...
My experience, it does not in many cases!! If in case it does capturing the same is almost an impossible task. How many of us have contributed information for formulating case study or rated an relevant article? Guess it is very difficult to have that discipline built within an organization to provide feedback/rating.

Andrew, Your thought process is absolutely right that a small search initiative cannot quantify million dollars to the bottom line... wonderfully substantiated with ERP example consuming more time than just 1 - 2 years for showing benefits.

Hence, am sailing in the same boat as Yao & looking forward for some more meaningful metrics, where dependency on feedback is relatively less.

Regards,
Srinivas P Jagannath