Dave Snowden
Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

Now blogging at www.cognitive-edge.com

On 14 Aug 2008, at 14:52, Anderson, Andrew (Tac Anderson) wrote:

I have always enjoyed the debates here in this group but have seldom joined in since I’m more of a KM hobbyist than professional.

I’m going to take Bill’s approach and be the contrarian here. Using cost savings as a justification is a 0 sum game.  It becomes a race to the bottom and ultimately is as quantifiable as marketing. That is to say, not impossible but very difficult.

Enterprise search sucks. Even Googlers think their intranet search sucks. Internal search just doesn’t scale yet at the middle of the curve. It’s handling too much info for basic search and not enough for Web type search.

The real advantages of KM, IMO, is the expansive nature of the learning.  It’s about innovation and the ability to connecting the connectors.  What you should be focusing on is the quality of the information people are co-creating, sharing and discovering.  You should be focusing on the ability for people to find and discover other people across the organization based not on roles and job descriptions but on the knowledge they have and are willing to share.

I would look at things like # of non core team participants, cross collaboration, etc. Just like the challenges I face in Marketing if the measurements aren’t set up in advance they’re meaningless afterwards.  You need to be able to look at your power users and measure how their productivity has increased, because collectively, for every hour your power users save finding something your laggards will waste.

Management raises the level of productivity of an organization through hiring, motivating and firing the right people. KM raises the productivity of the individual and at best the work team.

I guess what I’m saying (speaking from an outsiders perspective) is that the benefits of KM are very difficult to measure in aggregate unless a base line is established in advance and every stakeholder buys off on KPI’s. KM is better measured on a granular level.

Tac Anderson
IPG WW Sales and Services
Web - CRM – Metrics
tacanderson@hp.com