Re: US Army KM Manual, August 2008 #CoP

Allan Crawford

Gian,

You might want to look at what Fluor Corporation does with CoP’s.  These are very much in line with Mike Gardner’s comments around communities with “defined goals that support the business.”

If you are not familiar with it, Fluor is a global engineering and construction company with offices in something like 25 countries.  They have 47,000 employees.

Fluor has something on the order of 44 communities.  Their communities are directly aligned with their functional organizations.  So for example if they have a functional group that is for their construction engineers, they would have a parallel Knowledge CoP that is lead by the same person that leads the functional organization.

As I understand it, participation in the CoP’s is voluntary, but leadership roles are formally assigned and are part of people’s formal job descriptions.

In a recent presentation to the SIKMleaders group, John McQuary, who leads Fluor’s KM effort said that the purpose of their communities is to:

þ      Leverage the collective intellectual capital of all employees

þ      Provide optimal solutions to customers

þ      Enhance skill sets of employees

þ      Provide Global access to knowledge

The following is a link to McQuary’s presentation.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YFTzSCj03wwpV7piLF0gTwy6MzNFlFnnkc_e8XA7NBlsNWbe7CKWCp9SR9o0SNkE8CKTUhkGpBa_rigqdk75dPZCeKYDKA-GtQ/Fluor%20Knowvember%20Campaign.pdf

You also might want to take a look at a relatively recent article by Richard McDermott, which is also posted on the SIKMleaders site – entitled Building Healthy Communities.  In the article Richard talks about the difference between informal and strategic communities as well as the role of leadership.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YFTzSNvI6ikpV7pilZYp21sZmOMU1fxjD44WAm6Rv0pqh1Vg7ifg0kzzB-He1D4WzFlhtdxWfWkGDi3Gk7IVAKYXlOfNpoaXtg/McDermott%20-%20Healthy%20Communities%20-%20Inside%20Knowled

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Allan Crawford