Dave Snowden
Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

Now blogging at www.cognitive-edge.com

On 24 Nov 2008, at 15:55, gjagai wrote:

Let me expand a little. I'm looking at keeping my MBA class alumni
together after we graduate. My starting place is that one of my team
members just found out about instant messaging this week. So hence I
was looking for something that had a low barrier to entry and
participation. And low maintenance as the group/community leader would
need minimal effort to maintain the site or tool. No IT here to help
unfortunately.

I've been playing around on the LinkedIn Groups and it doesn't seem to
offer the nice history of group emails like Yahoo Groups does. I like
the SIKM message history, as a new member I can read through the group
history and understand the personality of the group. The one drawback
with Yahoo Groups is you need a Yahoo ID.

I did a quick review of Google groups and its not as intuitive on how
to create, join and invite others into it.

Facebook doesn't offer a group discussion and history that's easy to
digest. I also find Facebook is more individual focused and less group
focused. Lastly Facebook seems to be more personal while LinkedIn more
professional.

I don't think Twitter is going to work as its too new for this group.
It also doesn't allow the 'rich' interaction that email does. And I'm
not sure how you track a conversation among many participants.

As for file sharing the requirement is for lightweight sharing again
similar to Yahoo Groups.

Of course there's an alumni tool offered by the university, but then
that's yet-another-tool that one has to keep track off and participate
in separately from your other online identities.

Gian...