Re: Could KM have saved GM? #case-studies

Allan Crawford

Patrick’s clarification of what he means by heavy weights really resonated with me.  When I was at one of the mid size oil companies our KM team consisted of business managers with strong technical backgrounds (geology, drilling, petroleum engineering) all of whom had reputations as change agents…and all of whom were respected in the organization.  Each had been in significant mid management positions..and one had headed one of our foreign business units. In our organization these were both technical and management heavy weights…all had significant futures in the company.  And they were able to pick up and apply a solid set of KM tools in 6 to 12 months (CoP’s, peer assists, retrospects, AAR’s and the use of key collaboration tools).

As result of having this caliber of individuals on the team, with this experience, was that the team could walk into any office, including the CEO’s, and say “we have something that we think you should try, we’re pretty confident that it will have a significant business impact.”  After explaining what we were proposing, the initial response was typically a little skeptical, but because each of the team members had “business credibility” the line people would say…I’m not sure about this, but I know your track record and I trust your instincts… so okay let’s give it a try.”

Our initial approach was to work with small teams that faced a significant business challenge.  And our promise was that after working with the team for a short period of time if we didn’t deliver significant business value…we would go away.

We started by working on any problem that was presented to us.  After some initial success we approached managers about more challenging problems.  Within two years we were focused on the problems that were most strategic to the corporation.  Our criteria for assessing this was…is this a project that if it succeeded – or failed could move the stock price?  For this mid size oil company (it had a market cap of about $20B) there were a hand full of projects that meet this criterion.  By focusing on these we were able to have a strategic impact on the corporation.  Our efforts included both very tactical work…at the level of the working geoscientists and engineers, but also more strategic work where the outcomes of what we were doing with the lower level teams were shared vertically with management.  This allowed management to make better strategic decisions based on knowledge that was coming from the people that were doing the technical work as well as what we were learning from our partners and our contractors at the technical level.

Ultimately the company was sold to Chevron….which I believe was the right strategic decision.  And KM played a role in that decision.  It was clear to our CEO that based on the work that had been done with the teams, we did not have the depth of technical expertise that was needed to execute the significant number of very challenging projects that we faced.  Many of these projects were fairly high risk (big upside if they worked, but high cost and significant downside if they failed).  These high risk – high reward projects were ones that would fit well into a larger company’s portfolio, but were difficult to manage for a mid size company.  The result was a strategic decision to sell the company.

Bottom line for me, as a result of this experience, I agree with Patrick, Murray and Nancy; KM can and needs to operate at both the tactical and strategic level.  The processes are pretty much the same…but it does take a different focus.  One is horizontal and the other vertical.  I had never thought of it in quite those terms before but they certainly apply to the work that we did and the results that we obtained.

Allan Crawford