Re: Proposed KM resources #resources #definition

William Ives <iveswilliam@...>

Dave Weinberger talks about the Wikipedia as "negotiated truth"  which is very different than the normal encyclopedia. It is especially interesting to see controversial topics like the John Kennedy assassination. Here multiple theories have their place but the core must be agreed upon to avoid edit wars. We have an opportunity to develop a commonly accepted definition of KM that is not one individual's perspective or sales pitch through the process of multiple contributors.

Bill Ives
blog: Portals and KM

On Aug 13, 2006, at 7:34 PM, David Snowden wrote:

Given that everyone is coming up with good books - how about making some changes to the Wikipedia entry on KM?

The biography was dire when I looked at it the other night and the entry not much better.  See my blog "tales of a Wikipedia Virgin" on the Cognitive Edge web site for more details.  I had the interesting experience of being told that I obviously did not understand Snowden's theory of KM by an academic who was not aware who I was.

I added in some references and made some changes to the main entry but more involvement (ideally not a dump of ones own web site and sales material) would be good then all this stuff would be consolidated in one place

In the interests of KM I suggest we keep it to KM books rather than related ones

Dave Snowden
Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

www.cognitive-edge.com

NB I am now in Singapore to Mid October please use email to contact me not the mobile phone

On 13 Aug 2006, at 22:06, William Ives wrote:

I always liked Tom Davenport and Larry Prusack's Working Knowledge. For many years I recommended it to people as a good intro to the subject. Now I really like Tom's new book. Thinking for a Living.  With the advent of web 2.0 I think what we think KM is will change and a new set of books will emerge.

On Aug 12, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Chris Riemer wrote:

As far as books, I would add:

The Knowledge Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation, by Ikujiro Nonaka and Hirotaka Takeuchi; Oxford University Press, 1995. It's not a light read, but it's got a great sense of scope and it was one of those seminal KM works in my opinion.

Intellectual Capital: The New Wealth of Organizations, by Thomas A Stewart; Currency/Doubleday, 1997. This was the book that really got me excited about KM, and turned my own career in that direction. So I recommend it to everybody.

I'd also recommend Stewart's second book, which is The Wealth of Knowledge: Intellectual Capital and the Twenty-first Century Organization; Currency/Doubleday 2001.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Riemer
Principal