Re: Proposed KM resources #resources #definition

steven.wieneke@...

A simple definition of KM would not due justice to the topic. However
modeling the Domain of Knowledge Management appears to more than
appropriate for at least KM practitioners since we routinely model other
areas of practice. I find the overall lack of motivation by the KM
community to describe the depth and breath of its multiple discipline
domain curious.

Steven Wieneke
GM Technical Fellow
Global Technical Memory
Global Engineering
General Motors Corporation

douglasweidner@kmin
stitute.org To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
Sent by: cc:
sikmleaders@yahoogr Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Proposed KM resources
oups.com

08/14/2006 09:49 AM
Please respond to
sikmleaders

I agree with Dave.

There are many issues within KM that have mutual schools of thought, some
good, some bad, but multiple never-the-less.

Knowing that such diffrences exist is clarifying in and of itself.

Douglas Weidner, eCKM Mentor(tm)
Chairman, KM Institute

I think a definition might be a stage too far.

We know that there are distinct and different schools of KM and the
definitions will reflect those.
Some of those differences are fundamental
I think recognising the richness of KM and its diversity is better.
If you look at some of the standards (including those produced in
collaborative environments) they become very bland to the point of
being useless.

So to avoid edit wars, it may need a "there are three/four/whatever
recongised approaches to this issue. They are ......

Dave Snowden
Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

www.cognitive-edge.com

NB I am now in Singapore to Mid October please use email to contact
me not the mobile phone

On 14 Aug 2006, at 11:57, William Ives wrote:

Dave Weinberger talks about the Wikipedia as "negotiated truth"
which is very different than the normal encyclopedia. It is
especially interesting to see controversial topics like the John
Kennedy assassination. Here multiple theories have their place but
the core must be agreed upon to avoid edit wars. We have an
opportunity to develop a commonly accepted definition of KM that is
not one individual's perspective or sales pitch through the process
of multiple contributors.

Bill Ives
blog: Portals and KM

On Aug 13, 2006, at 7:34 PM, David Snowden wrote:

Given that everyone is coming up with good books - how about
making some changes to the Wikipedia entry on KM?

The biography was dire when I looked at it the other night and the
entry not much better. See my blog "tales of a Wikipedia Virgin"
on the Cognitive Edge web site for more details. I had the
interesting experience of being told that I obviously did not
understand Snowden's theory of KM by an academic who was not aware
who I was.

I added in some references and made some changes to the main entry
but more involvement (ideally not a dump of ones own web site and
sales material) would be good then all this stuff would be
consolidated in one place

In the interests of KM I suggest we keep it to KM books rather
than related ones

Dave Snowden
Founder & Chief Scientific Officer
Cognitive Edge Pte Ltd

www.cognitive-edge.com

NB I am now in Singapore to Mid October please use email to
contact me not the mobile phone

On 13 Aug 2006, at 22:06, William Ives wrote:

I always liked Tom Davenport and Larry Prusack's Working
Knowledge. For many years I recommended it to people as a good
intro to the subject. Now I really like Tom's new book. Thinking
for a Living. With the advent of web 2.0 I think what we think
KM is will change and a new set of books will emerge.

On Aug 12, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Chris Riemer wrote:

As far as books, I would add:

The Knowledge Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create
the Dynamics of Innovation, by Ikujiro Nonaka and Hirotaka
Takeuchi; Oxford University Press, 1995. It's not a light read,
but it's got a great sense of scope and it was one of those
seminal KM works in my opinion.

Intellectual Capital: The New Wealth of Organizations, by Thomas
A Stewart; Currency/Doubleday, 1997. This was the book that
really got me excited about KM, and turned my own career in that
direction. So I recommend it to everybody.

I'd also recommend Stewart's second book, which is The Wealth of
Knowledge: Intellectual Capital and the Twenty-first Century
Organization; Currency/Doubleday 2001.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Riemer
Principal
Knowledge Street LLC
www.knowledgestreet.com
+1 973 292 2949

PS: Of course, Knowledge Street LLC also has an entertaining
monthly e-newsletter on this topic ;-)http://tinyurl.com/elzew