Re: Knowledge capture and the retrieval of knowledge exchanged during conferences #conferences #tools #knowledge-capture

TRflanagan@...

I would remain a wee bit more optimistic.

In terms of retaining meaning from a meeting on a complex topic, I do believe that one can capture a list of decisions made by the group and an "image" of the relationships among the important concepts that lead up to that decision.

The enduring take-away needs to be some narrative about "what have we decided and what were the key considerations that shaped that decision."  There is probably some real archival value in having access to a catalogue of warrants that were applied to group decisions which are made repeatedly by different groups in slightly different situations.

Of course, I am speaking about meetings that result in group decisions.  Presentations themselves are broadcasts, and I feel that they rarely tap the wisdom of the audience in real time.  In narrative form I enjoy brief presentations (usually), yet on their own merits they rarely prompt me into a new course of action.  In a complex situation, I rely on deliberation and collective decision.

Tom Flanagan
><((((º>·..¸¸·´¯`·.><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸><((((º> .·´¯`·..><(((º>

Subj: [sikmleaders] Re: knowledge capture and the retrieval of knowledge exchanged during conferences
Date: 7/15/2009 7:15:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: tman9999@...
To: sikmleaders@...
Sent from the Internet

Apart from publishing a collection of the presentation decks that were presented, not sure what you had in mind.

Even then I have found very little residual value in the various binders full of powerpoint slides that I've collected - I have probably referred back to less than 1% of all slides amassed in binders over the years.

What knowledge are you thinking should be captured? Capture, imho, is for the most part a useless exercise. By analogy, have you ever tried to type up the notes that were put up on a whiteboard, along with any diagrams? How much residual use are those notes? How much use are they to someone who wasn't even in the room? Point is, any true "knowledge" that was generated during a conference was probably highly contextual, and sticky - the people who gave rise to it are probably the only ones who will have it a year from now, despite their efforts to capture or transmit it.

Just a thought.

Can love help you live longer? Find out now. (http://personals.aol.com/articles/2009/02/18/longer-lives-through-relationships/?ncid=emlweuslove00000001)