Nancy M, Dixon
Common Knowledge Associates
202 277 5839   NEW PHONE NUMBER as of Aug 28,  512 694 6605

now blogging at www.nancydixonblog.com

On Jul 15, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Matt Moore wrote:

Hello,

I think there's a big design issue here. It's not just about using video or Twitter, it's about how we design our conferences as 1. learning & exchange spaces in their own right & 2. integrated into everything else that we do.

As Tom has put very well, simply "capturing" stuff as text or graphics or audio or video is all very well but will people go back and use it?

My experience has been decided mixed in this area. If the talks are on a topic that engages a large proportion of the audience and presented excellently then yes - just look at the TED site. But few events come close to the standards of TED.

When we recorded the monthly presentations to the national learning communities at gov agency and made them available on the intranet as streaming video we got a little take up but nowhere near as much as the live video conferenced events (I don't think it helped that the videos were 45 mins plus with poor browsing functionality).

The NSW KM Forum recently ran a session on the future of conferences:http://nswkmforum.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/future-of-conferences-redux/

And Australia's ABC Radio National did a programme on the same topic where I was a panellist: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/futuretense/stories/2009/2564798.htm

Cheers,

Matt