Re: Request for strategy assistance #strategy

Douglas Weidner

Jason,

Quite a challenge, but good to see you have a clear vision of your needs, rather than approaching KM in an ad hoc fashion.

I encourage you to look into the KM Institute’s training and certification offerings.

We dominate KM training for your customer, the US military, including most all the CoComs and special ops.

One of our strengths is a proven KM methodology to “Create a Learning Organization”, first funded by the US military, but quite suitable for a smaller organization, whether gov or commercial.

An essential ingredient is change management, the requisite ‘behavioral changes’ you mentioned.

If you would like to know more, please contact me directly.

Douglas Weidner, eCKM Mentor

Chairman, International Knowledge Management Institute

Best in KM Training & Certification

Home of the KM Body of Knowledge (KMBOK)

www.kminstitute.org

703-757-1395

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of jason.swan@...
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:56 AM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] Request for strategy assistance

Hi all,

I recently found your group and have been appreciating the depth of the discussion that has been going on here for the last week, or so.  However, at this point, I’m in need of some “nuts-and-bolts” type of information.

I work for a company that is part of L-3 Communications.  We supply training and engineering support services to the US military.  I’ve been give the responsibility for directing our company’s knowledge management initiative, including the development of a knowledge management system.  Our company is more than 25 years old, we have more than 500 employees and more than 30 locations around the world.  Like many companies, we haven’t yet crossed the bridge to becoming a learning organization, and we struggle with knowledge attrition and wasted effort.

Since being tasked with developing a KMS, I have assembled a team and we have recognized that we need to approach KM as a human system, rather than a technology system.  We have support from our executive management to initiate behavior changes as well as technological changes at a corporate level.  However, no one in our company has experience with developing or deploying a KMS.  We have made excellent progress by researching and reading, and I’ve made some valuable connections with other L-3 Communications personnel, but I am still unable to get on top of the strategy.  I feel like I need a defined strategy before I can make more progress in our effort.

I have no idea what the strategy should look like or what a good “model” strategy would contain.  Can anyone share examples of strategies that might provide me with some direction?  We have long-range goals, and we are stirring around some ideas for short-range goals.  And our business has some important strategies for acquiring and maintaining business.  How do those things relate to a specific KM strategy?  What are the components of a KM strategy?  How does the KM strategy inform subsequent steps of design and implementation?  Once we have a strategy, I feel like I can draft out a roadmap to get us to implementation. 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jason Swan

Lead Instructional Systems Designer

-----------------------------------------

1228 E. Main St.

Havelock, NC 28532

Phone: (252) 444-0927

Fax: (252) 444-3129

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.