Re: Is learning the missing emphasis of knowledge management? #learning

Steven Wieneke <swieneke@...>

Tom,

I appreciate your comments and examples.

Thanks for mentioning David Garvin. I found a relevant quotation
attributed to Garvin. Organizations that learn are skilled at creating,
acquiring, interpreting, transferring, and retaining knowledge and at
purposefully modifying its behavior to reflect new knowledge and
insights."

The "skilled at creating, acquiring, interpreting, transferring, and
retaining knowledge" sounds like conventional knowledge management.

The "purposefully modifying its behavior to reflect new knowledge and
insights" is the missing "Learning" emphasis we have been talking about.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve - interesting point - I think you're onto something, especially
given the way the wind is blowing regarding companies and their use of the
term "knowledge management" (see my latest post).

Your comments remind of two KM-related concepts/truths. One is the notion
of the Learn -> Do -> Know loop (don't know the source), which says (at
least in part) that knowledge emerges from doing something; and doing
something is made possible or enhanced by learning something. So to your
point, from an organizational perspective perhaps this is a way of saying
that knowledge is an outcome, not a point of control or direct influence.

The second thing I'm reminded of is David Garvin's wonderful learning
organization framework which lays out three modes of learning: learning
before doing (aka training), learning while doing (mentoring, OJT), and
learning after doing (AAR). I used this on a large consulting engagement
to organize eight individual "KM" initiatives into a conceptual framework
that made it easier for us to explain to stakeholders how all the
initiatives hung together. Again, knowledge was the targetted outcome, but
the locus of control was clearly on learning.

Good point, Steve. Thanks for sharing.

-Tom

Tom Short Consulting
Knowledge Transfer
Knowledge Strategy
Metrics
Change
415-912-0927

--- In sikmleaders@..., "StevenWieneke" <swieneke@...> wrote:

SIKM Leaders,

Is learning the missing emphasis of knowledge management?

I recently presented at the 2010 KM Symposium in Chicago, addressing two
questions

Q: Which comes first, learning or knowledge?

A: "Unlike the chicken-egg circular cause and effect, learning
ensures knowledge, but knowledge does not necessarily ensure learning.
There must be a learning aptitude and mechanism for existing knowledge
to be adopted or internalized by any of us. If the knowledge does not
exist, the same learning aptitude can discover new knowledge through
experimentation and even accidental incidents"

Q: Which comes first in an enterprise, managing learning or managing
knowledge?

A: "If learning is beneficial for us, then learning should be
beneficial for an enterprise. Like people, an enterprise needs a
learning aptitude (culture) and learning mechanism (visible learning
process). Even if employees are individually learning, the enterprise
may not, resulting in rework, remediation, rediscovery, reinvention and
customer dissatisfaction"

Find the presentation
<http://elkawareness.com/images/WhichComesFirstLearningOrKnowledge_Print\;
ing.pdf> and paper
<http://elkawareness.com/images/WhichComesFirstLearningOrKnowledge_Paper\;
.pdf> at www.elkawareness.com <http://www.elkawareness.com> .

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Steven Wieneke
enterprise learning & knowledge awareness coach

Steven Wieneke
President
Enterprise Learning & Knowledge Awareness Coach
Wieneke & Wieneke, Inc.
www.elkawareness.com
cell: 248.535.0427