Re: Hole in the Bucket #wikis #tools

Martin@Cleaver.org <martin@...>

Hi Cory,

1. Is there an existing repository that we can migrate the content to?

We are creating a repository for the Knowledge Worker Meetup group in Toronto using Confluence: it doesn't have much content yet and isn't open for public registration at this time, but we can adapt to help. For our meetup group I have an adequate arrangement for hosting and have an unlimited version of Confluence our groups, Knowledge Workers Toronto (KWT, ~400 people) and Wiki Tuesday (~250 people).

The KWT wiki is initially set up to aid us in internal planning, with a view to opening it to our community for them to discuss and exchange materials about events or other materials they may find interesting/useful.

It is situated at http://confluence.knowledgeworkers.org

The costs of hosting, administering and developing the sites doesn't much increase with the number of users. The payback does increase with the number of users. I'd welcome Knowledge Bucket users.

2. What sort of platform should we consider for kbucket II ? (Wiki, collaboration space etc...)

It depends on your needs and objectives with kbucket II: should I assume its for the ~50 contributors registered on your existing site? What new needs are you trying to fill by setting up and running kbucket II? A defined problem for which the wiki is a solution is vital, so is understanding who the users are. Have you established goals beyond the content in your current repository?

If you have a community dedicated to building an information base, a wiki can be a good choice. The issue is about communicating a compelling reason to that community, providing resources etc. Wikis can suffer from the empty disco scenario: no one wants to be the first one in the space. Getting the community activity going takes vision to inspire passion, an eye for what creates and sustains value, and then outright perseverance.

KWT is also experimenting with a BuddyPress install at http://network.knowledgeworkers.org. BuddyPress sits upon the Wordpress technology - the idea to allow our speakers members to syndicate their blogs through our site, and to measure and grow the social network of our users.

3. What free, hosted, wysiwyg wiki/content management tool experiences have you had?

Most of the time I have done the hosting of wiki platforms myself, so I can't convey much about others' free services. For clients I do demos using commercial hosting environments. On a personal note: I did Content Management consulting for the Arthur Andersen Enterprise Integration team (1998-2002); have been a developer for open source TWiki/Foswiki from 2001; been KM / Wiki consulting since my MBA (2005); been using Confluence since 2007; my company (Blended Perspectives) is an Atlassian Partner; I host several communities including clients on these two platforms,

4. Would you be interested and available to help with the design and migration to the new improved bucket?

Yes, let's talk. We are already connected on Skype; I'm mrjcleaver.

Thanks,
   Martin.

--
Martin Cleaver M.Sc. MBA
Martin@...://twitter.com/mrjcleaver

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM, <David.Williams@...> wrote:

Cory

The third thing that comes to mind this morning is that RKRK is a nice wiki. http://www.rkrk.net.au/index.php/Information_and_Knowledge_Resource_Kit_%28IKRK%29

 I think it is hosted by Siwan at the ARRC. We may be able to do a deal and piggy back off it for a modest contribution for which we might be able to get some sponsorship for.

How about we raise the issue for discussion next week at the actkm conference ?

David Williams

actKM Convenor

convenor@...

www.actkm.org.au