Re: Alumni networks... Knowledge retention strategy or Social club? #knowledge-retention

Arthur Shelley

Andrew, Matt and Stan,

Completely agree with the power of networking and maintenance of relationships after you leave an organisation.

The real beauty is you get to choose which ones you continue to interact with (although sometimes it is easier to confirm some invitations on social media sites than to block people), as this too has consequences.

I have an exercise I sometimes run with students or workshop groups for which the theme is “you are as powerful as your network”.

This can be a simple set of questions or something more, such as asking them to get something non-commercial delivered to the classroom through only their networks and without voice.  Can be done “for real” or simulated. Mapping the paths through which this happens is interesting.  When we did a social network analysis of the chocolate experts at Cadbury, we started with a group of 10 which quickly developed into a group of 40 and then when this group was surveyed about the sources of technology advice exploded into a list of 248, 58 of which were outside the organisation (including some past employees and some suppliers).

Have a good weekend all!

Regards,
Arthur Shelley
Founder: Intelligent Answers & Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network
Author:
The Organizational Zoo & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader
Twitter:
Metaphorage
Blog: http//organizationalzoo.blogspot.com
Ph +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley
Free Zoo Behavioural Profiles:
www.organizationalzoo.com