SIKM Leaders Dinner @ KM World 2010 - Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm - please RSVP by November 11 #KMWorld

Stan Garfield

Thanks to the efforts of Sue Hanley, we held a wonderful dinner on Wednesday during KMWorld.  36 people attended and spent the evening networking, talking, and enjoying a fine meal.

I asked the participants to discuss three topics during dinner:

  1. What can you present on a monthly SIKM Leaders Community call?
  2. How can we improve the monthly calls?
  3. What would you recommend to someone new to knowledge management who wants to develop expertise in the field?

I would like to ask all of you to reply to this thread with your answers to these questions.  To get you started, here is what Paul Neiswander, Bill Dixon, and the rest of the table in the corner near the door came up with:

  1. Possible topics
    1. multi-lingual taxonomy
    2. personal knowledge management
  2. Improvements
    1. identify some specific initiatives that SIKM could collaborate on to achieve insights.
      1. Perhaps SIKM Insights
      2. Perhaps we can set up a collaboration site (wiki)
    2. instigate a mentor program for new SIKM members (or those who would like a mentor)
  3. Tell something to someone
    1. Bill Dixon suggests that advising new members to "challenge your KM boundaries" and not to be afraid to "engage in conversations where you might feel vulnerable".
    2. The SIKM community is an ideal place to push some boundaries in a "safe" environment.

I will reply to this thread with the responses of others who attended, but before doing so, I would like to hear from other members, both those who attended and those who were unable to attend.  Thanks for your participation in this discussion.