Re: SIKM Leaders Dinner @ KM World 2010 - Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm - please RSVP by November 11 #KMWorld

Arthur Shelley

Stan,

Sorry I missed the gathering, but seems like a good conversation as always.

I enjoyed being involved in the SIKM leaders meeting in Boston whilst I was there a few weeks ago.

Fantastic conversations on a range of opportunities (and continued afterwards).

The idea of using SIKM leaders to push boundaries in a safe fail way is a great idea and something that we can practice m ore as professionals.

Regards,
Arthur Shelley
Founder: Intelligent Answers & Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network
Author:
The Organizational Zoo & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader
Twitter:
Metaphorage
Blog: http//organizationalzoo.blogspot.com
Ph +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley
Free Zoo Behavioural Profiles:
www.organizationalzoo.com

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of StanGarfield
Sent: Saturday, 20 November 2010 3:38 AM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] SIKM Dinner at KMWorld

Thanks to the efforts of Sue Hanley, we held a wonderful dinner on Wednesday during KMWorld.  36 people attended and spent the evening networking, talking, and enjoying a fine meal.

I asked the participants to discuss three topics during dinner:

  1. What can you present on a monthly SIKM Leaders Community call?
  2. How can we improve the monthly calls?
  3. What would you recommend to someone new to knowledge management who wants to develop expertise in the field?

I would like to ask all of you to reply to this thread with your answers to these questions.  To get you started, here is what Paul Neiswander, Bill Dixon, and the rest of the table in the corner near the door came up with:

  1. Possible topics
    1. multi-lingual taxonomy
    2. personal knowledge management
  1. Improvements
    1. identify some specific initiatives that SIKM could collaborate on to achieve insights.
      1. Perhaps SIKM Insights
      2. Perhaps we can set up a collaboration site (wiki)
    1. instigate a mentor program for new SIKM members (or those who would like a mentor)
  1. Tell something to someone
    1. Bill Dixon suggests that advising new members to "challenge your KM boundaries" and not to be afraid to "engage in conversations where you might feel vulnerable".
    2. The SIKM community is an ideal place to push some boundaries in a "safe" environment.

I will reply to this thread with the responses of others who attended, but before doing so, I would like to hear from other members, both those who attended and those who were unable to attend.  Thanks for your participation in this discussion.