Re: Web 2.0 #social-media

Dave Simmons

Hi, Steve,

Perhaps the web 2.0 tools leverage the intangible knowledge of opinion and accreted expertise. Answers congregate around questions much like birds around a thrown bag of popcorn. Web 2.0 tools also help identify expertise, promote crossing over occupational paradigms and lend a broader depth of perspective than a single tangible perspective in some sort of documented format.

I'm personally not ready yet to make the leap to total reliance on my peeps network for learning when I need it. I still need an overview model to build from (usually from a manual or cheeatsheet from one who has gone on before).

Instead, I would advocate for learning materials in smaller, bite-sized morsels that could be provided in conjunction with those people resources. Rather the whole book I'd like the ability to dip into the chapter or topics most relevant to me.

I'm involved with a massive cultural and technology shift in the government (Lotus Notes to Google Apps and server-based to cloud-based computing. ) Rather than using the model of prescripted documentation, learning guides, and other expensive repositories of learning, we're starting the dicussion around processes that folks are comfortable doing in Lotus and figuring how to do it in Google.

The idea is to shorten that hesitation employees may have where they know the task, but have to figure out the new way to do it. Short, portable steps to accomplishing tasks that can be presented in multiple formats (video, cbt, ppt, quicksheets) rather than a course "design" that is overloaded and overbuilt. Besides, we don't have any money to spend on training in the federal govt. I may be relying on a human network of new learners to support the brand new learners, so I'm uncertain how we are going to build this plane as we take off. I'm sure there's a case study or cautionary tale brewing here somewhere...

As for using the web 2.0 tools in this exercise. I think we'll use them for communicating initiative developments (feeds), q and a for burning questions (topic forums) and a place for people to vent their concerns, aha moments, and frustrations. Perhaps the networks will form naturally, but I'm enough of a skeptic to have a backup plan just in case people ask questions and people aren't out there answering.

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Wieneke" <swieneke@...> wrote:

I recently sent the following series of questions to the Midwest KM
Community in an attempt to encourage other Midwest members to attend our
monthly f-2-f lunch meetings and to continue the dialog. Stan asked that
I post the questions on the SIKM Leaders Community discussion board.

During our January Midwest KM Community lunch/meeting, we discussed
using Web 2.0 tools to ask and find answers to questions. On the way
back to my office, I ask myself (in the context of a work environment),
why is everyone asking one another so many questions? [Rhetorical
question, yes, there are many reasons.]

Q2: Has the company provided enough training, instructions, user guides,
intuitive software, and searchable references?

Q3: If easier to ask than find, what if the support and references they
need were in their natural work stream, when and where they most likely
need it?

Q4: If asking one another questions is working, why not stop spending
resources on training, instructions, user guides, intuitive software,
searchable references?

Any thoughts?