Re: "Hit a Button" - can you help? #SNA-ONA-VNA

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

Dan –

I’d suggest that the primary message in your response should be that collaboration isn’t about hitting a button.  That approach implies that it’s all about technology and measurement.  Collaboration is an inherently human process that began before the dawn of civilization.  Technology primarily facilitates and supports it to happen among dispersed participants up to global scales.  You may get numbers, but they will be a shallow representation of the surface of the pond.

First, we should distinguish between interaction, collaboration, and negotiation.  They are quite different processes.  The first involves sharing in which the key is to provide incentives for content owners to make it available to users.  The second is joint production of content, in which trust and a partnerships approach are paramount.  The third is about reaching an agreement requiring compromise in an adversarial setting.  Your request suggests that you are really looking for analytics related to social interaction.  The good news is that interactions are the most measurable of the three.

Although technology can support and enhance all of these activities, they are primarily about attitudes, behavior, relationships, and culture.  I just drafted these elements of a knowledge services architecture which examines the processes and the role of technology in them which I can extract and send.

Regrettably, it isn’t a cookbook solution it’s about understanding the underlying process.

Al Simard

From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Ranta, Dan
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:49 PM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] "Hit a Button" - can you help?

"Hit a Button" - can you help?

Recently an executive asked me - "can you help me so I can just 'hit a button?'" Let me explain. We have done a fair amount of Social / Organizational Network Analysis work and have plenty of collaboration going on...so people want more and more including analytical insights. The "hit a button" is referring to being able to have immediate access to our networking and collaborative patterns. So you can see this for individuals and between individuals and across areas of the company.

I have seen several presentations from software vendors over the years, but has anyone really put this into play? Does anyone have an easy, automatic way to see pictures or snapshots of how employees are collaborating -- based on usage of internal systems, IM, email, etc? I need some real case studies to think through - no "vaporware" please. Thanks, Dan

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.