From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...] On Behalf Of Jack Vinson
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:55 PM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] "Hit a Button" - can you help?

Dan-

I was just thinking about this over on my blog as well... what does collaboration look like? What do you (or the executive) expect to "see" when collaboration is happening? What problem is collaboration supposed to be solving? The answer to this is going to vary depending on the context of the organization.

If you want to get metrics on things like quantity and spread of use of these tools (email, IM, etc), I would think any number of vendors would be happy to provide such data.  Maybe some ongoing pictures of the SNA within the organization, based on this data could show "interesting" patterns.  But then delving into the patterns is what might tell you something (or not).

Jack

www.jackvinson.com

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Ranta, Dan <dan.ranta@...> wrote:

"Hit a Button" - can you help?

Recently an executive asked me - "can you help me so I can just 'hit a button?'" Let me explain. We have done a fair amount of Social / Organizational Network Analysis work and have plenty of collaboration going on...so people want more and more including analytical insights. The "hit a button" is referring to being able to have immediate access to our networking and collaborative patterns. So you can see this for individuals and between individuals and across areas of the company.

I have seen several presentations from software vendors over the years, but has anyone really put this into play? Does anyone have an easy, automatic way to see pictures or snapshots of how employees are collaborating -- based on usage of internal systems, IM, email, etc? I need some real case studies to think through - no "vaporware" please. Thanks, Dan