Re: "Hit a Button" - can you help? #SNA-ONA-VNA

Laurence Lock Lee

I've been tracking this for over a decade ... since Tacit came out with an email mapping system in the late 1990s. My take on the status quo:

- tracking email is problematic. Privacy concerns have turned customers away...have seen 3 firms fail chasing this....best use media that people have 'volunteered' to use by contributing posts etc.
- tracking social media patterns offer the most promise, but Linkedin, Facebook only allow you to look at your own network.
- you can map Twitter data, but usually only for limited periods with NodeXL and its not really just a push of the button (but close)
- I have been looking for organisations that have used social media universally across the organisation. Many say they do. When you look under the cover, usually not. So what is the value of tracking collaboration patterns of only those that are using social media? I'd be interested in talking to any organisation that is confident that their internal social media usage is truly reflective of their collaboration patterns. Email is probably the closest we have ...but see point #1.
- Looked at sharepoint forums and have mapped sharepoint activity, but no-one seems to like the forums and now that Microsoft has bought Yammer....I'd prefer to go there.
- We have been working with our Italian partners on a 'Social Business Dashboard' concept that has a 'Hit a button' objective...but will not post a link...as it could end up vapourware.
- I did put this blog post together though which I called Social Analytics 2.0 because I wanted to differentiate the social capital patterns we work with from the simple activity measures that the social networking tools have now:

http://governanceandnetworks.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/social-analytics-20-its-time.html

...which gives you an idea of where we are taking this....hopefully we will get there soon!

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Patti Anklam" <patti@...> wrote:

This notion of "hitting a button" to see the social network of collaboration
has been talked about for such a long time I think of it as one of the holy
grails. Some companies that I looked and and some that I worked with
include: Entopia, Trampoline Systems, and Morphix Metasight (this one seems
to be still doing something). I think IBM's Connections does this as well.

One year at Enterprise 2.0 I made a point of asking collaboration vendors
whether they did or had plans to collect network data. Some had no idea what
I was talking about and others said they might think about it. But if
customers don't ask for it vendors won't do it. So, executives (and
purchasers of big collaboration platforms) have to start asking vendors.

/patti