Re: "Big data" - does it have anything to do with knowledge management? #data-science

Joe Raimondo

Matt:
With regard to "bid data" and KM, I share your consternation and confusion. Using the term data, for example, conjures for me flowchart symbols for databases, or a SQL Server Admin interface. And big--it conjures mainly hype, as you noted.
That said, I have been engaged in a technology project that involves exploring some new technology approaches to KM--particularly in the realm of adopting NoSQL databases and MapReduce techniques. This is an example where we have been exploring application of some of these emerging technologies and how they engulf some of our common conceptions about how and where data are stored and accessed. Moreover, it has an impact on some of the basic models that people concerned with KM uses , e.g.,search and findability, structuring, sorting, and tagging, etc. A whole new world of capabilities is coming on lone. It's very exciting in terms of potential. but understand that the technology is still raw and it reveals its secrets reluctantly.
As noted, when I see the word data, I'm thinking of databases as a single thing. I'm not thinking so much the processes that create the data, the interactions the data represents, or the means by which the data is transformed into knowledge or insight--something I now know as a result of arranging the content of the data and displaying it in a particular way that I didn't know before. That said, I think it's useful to tease apart the three main phases of a "bid data" model:
- Input.
- Rendering and storage
- Access, analysis and output
Again, from a grunt-level technology perspective, you can see how this is vital. But from a KM perspective, we can now drop sensors into many more parts of the organization, from the log file level on up, to start to get some insight.
The key notion from "big data" is actually the analytics part--the analysis and output component. Yo can envision systems that provide near-real-time indicators of a variety of signal from low levels that can be statistically analyzed to show demonstrable and valid lift in performance. You can then use these indicators as a means to dive into the knowledge base of that group--everything is stored and tracked and accessible and render-able. It changes the perspective on the performance management game.
= Joe Raimondo =
Ontologique

--- In sikmleaders@..., Matt Moore wrote:

Hi,

Over the last 18 months, I've been unable to avoid the phrase 'big data". It's a buzz term that covers a lot of different activities and tools. It's vague but it's not meaningless and I'm deliberately not going to define it in this email. I've written an introductory article that provides on the topic that should come out in a few months (ah, the joys of the traditional publishing process). I'm thinking of following it up with an article that features some specific examples and also some quotes from people that have interesting opinions on the topic. My angle is very much from an information management / knowledge management perspective rather than, say, a pure data analytics perspective.

So my questions are: Does the term "Big Data" mean anything to you? And does it have anything to do with knowledge management?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Moore

BTW For anyone I do quote in the article, I will always ask your permission to do so first.