Re: New Trends in Knowledge Management #hot-topics

Gobi, Birgit (HP Technology Consulting Knowledge Management) <birgit.gobi@...>

Hello,

As a Knowledge Manager (practitioner for more than 10 years) in HP (in the Technology Consulting Business for the EMEA Region) and external consultant I still define Knowledge Management as the

“systematic approach to help information and knowledge flow to the right people at the right time so they can act more efficiently and effectively in their daily job. The KM program relies on three main components:

People who are the producers and consumers of knowledge,

Processes that guide the management of the  knowledge and

Tools to facilitate access to knowledge assets. “

This definition has still worked for us for years.

I see that document management and collaboration are becoming more and more blurred. Also smartphones, etc., help to access knowledge from everywhere and everytime (companies plan to provide this type of access to employees, also for internal knowlede sources). I also see the trend to connect innovation with knowledge management (which was more or less separate in the past).

Also, the role of a knowledge manager is assigned.

We have many success stories on KM here in HP. In my business unit and region we are collecting these from the employees on a quarterly basis and promote them (to show the value of KM to the business)

Hope this helps.

BR, Birgit (Gobi)