Re: Gamification in KM - real experiences #gamification

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Thanks Stan,

I think this has crystalised some of my issues with gamification. Sometimes I'm seeing it used as panacea. If you're looking at participation in a work system/process/activity then I think you need to start by asking:
1. Are participants getting work-related value out of it? (does it help them do their jobs)
2. Is it easy to do? (or does it not impose unnecessary effort costs on people)
If you can answer "yes" to both questions then you can start thinking about additional engagement levers. If you can't then you are just putting lipstick on a pig.

One important element from your cases studies is that there was a follow up at the end in terms of prizes, acknowledgements from powerful people in the organsation etc.

I also think we should never underestimate the important of saying thank you to people! 

Cheers,

Matt
Sent: Friday, 10 May 2013 4:04 AM
Subject: [sikmleaders] Re: Gamification in KM - real experiences

Matt, I have experience with a KM points systems (KM Stars when I was at HP), and it worked quite well.  See Recognize and Reward for Desired Behaviors and KM Stars by Andrew Gent (SIKM member).

I also suggest talking with  Steve Kaukonen and Thomas Hsu of Accenture (both SIKM members) and Bryant Clevenger of IBM ( http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bryant-clevenger/1/5b1/22b ) about their experiences.

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.