Re: Gamification in KM - real experiences #gamification

Stephen Bounds

Hi Matt,

I kind of disagree. I think an important use case for gamification is where the value accrues to the organisation, not the individual. In fact, isn't this kind of the point? To encourage things which aren't naturally being done to get done?

I would also be cautious about prizes and acknowledgements. What you're doing is designing a game with extrinsic rewards, which are harder to sustain than intrinsic rewards.

Extrinsic rewards the same problem as pay increases or "expected" bonuses: they rapidly become just part of the status quo. If we must gamify, then as far as possible the activities should be intrinsically rewarding.

Management involvement should be limited to *support* of the activity, ie we agree it is a good thing for you to spend time on this.

Although it's a bit game-reference heavy, this video is well worth a watch to explain what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h86g-XgUCA8&feature=youtu.be&t=1m2s

Cheers,
-- Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Director & Principal Consultant
knowquestion Pty Ltd
E: sb@knowquestion.com.au
M: 0401 829 096
====================================

On 10/05/2013 10:43 AM, Matt Moore wrote:
Thanks Stan,

I think this has crystalised some of my issues with gamification.
Sometimes I'm seeing it used as panacea. If you're looking at
participation in a work system/process/activity then I think you need to
start by asking:
1. Are participants getting work-related value out of it? (does it help
them do their jobs)
2. Is it easy to do? (or does it not impose unnecessary effort costs on
people)
If you can answer "yes" to both questions then you can start thinking
about additional engagement levers. If you can't then you are just
putting lipstick on a pig.

One important element from your cases studies is that there was a follow
up at the end in terms of prizes, acknowledgements from powerful people
in the organsation etc.

I also think we should never underestimate the important of saying
thank you to people!

Cheers,

Matt