Re: Employee-created Company Values #vision #culture

David Snowden <snowded@...>

Well just to be a disruptive element
The concept that you go from values, to beliefs to mental models to behaviour is linear, assumes cause and effect relationships and in no way reflects what we now know about how the brain makes decisions.
  In practice we partially scan data (5% if we really work with it) and scan stored patterns of experience in our long term memory to make a first fit pattern match which we then act on.
The patterns come from personal experience (especially failure) and through stories.
Values and believes are emergent properties of the interaction between experience and our patterns, and in turn influence which stories get told but there is no linear causality.

Dave Snowden
Founder, The Cynefin Centre
www.cynefin.net

On 22 Feb 2006, at 07:00, Raj Datta wrote:

Thanks Bruce -- you're right, there do appear to be similarities, including
headcount and approach.

Also, the comment from Steve Denning was interesting about moving towards
managing values.   I reflected a bit on that after the call.

The way I see it, core values define our belief systems and behavior(e.g.
what is right and wrong) which define our mental models (e.g. rationalizing,
categorizing, etc.)  So, if we wanted to impact behavior and have a shared
vision and common understanding, then we must start with core values.  If we
are a knowledge based organization, then the core values must stress KM.

However, core values would state the intent, and putting it on paper would
not be enough.  To put it into practice, the role of the support structure
becomes crucial, including the enabling technology, people (HR) policies,
communication, social networks etc.  This, overtime, helps us walk the talk
so to speak.  Communication through Storytelling (e.g. good & bad, compliance
and non-compliance) IMHO plays a crucial role in value clarification,
particularly in tricky areas like integrity.  Mechanisms like 360 degree
feedback on core values are opportunities for everyone to reflect upon what
the core values mean.  Thus overtime, we move from intent into practice.

Regards,
Raj Datta
General Manager, Knowledge Management
MindTree Consulting Pvt. Ltd.