Re: Knowledge mapping #mapping

Jeff Stemke

Matt: I find it useful to change the question from "what you know" to "what you do". This more operational focus is easier to answer and often makes more sense to the managers funding the activity.

Steven adds another interesting perspective that describes a deeper dive into how an individual "thinks about what they do": the important concepts, information and relationships someone has learned over time. I've been calling this a "mental model".

The "what you do" and "what's important in what I do" maps have some interesting hyperlinks. For example, I may need certain information that I am not able to generate myself. The "what you do" map points me to experts who can provide it. Both maps are incredibly useful for knowledge transfer.

--Jeff

Stemke Consulting Group