Re: Components of an internal Social Strategy #strategy #social-business

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

Dan –

You just happened to hit on the center of my current universe – integrating technological and social approaches to KM.  It isn’t either/or; it is both.  Neither approach is sufficient in itself; both are necessary and must work together for KM to succeed.   Note that I didn’t say it would be easy to integrate these two disparate schools of thought.

Although still under development, I see social structures as having two aspects:  a hierarchy of drivers (e.g., engagement, trust, relationships, culture) and social interactions (sharing, collaboration, negotiation, and competition).  Note that traditional KM has little to say about the latter two (which involve conflicting goals), although they represent a majority of organizational activity (another new KM paradigm emerging!).  I haven’t done much about the drivers yet, but I have finished a social interaction framework that describes the latter.  A presentation is available at:

http://www.slideshare.net/albertsimard/new-approaches-to-knowlege-management-part-2

In my mind, the link between social structures (and technology) to business value is through their support of knowledge work which creates the value.  That’s the whole purpose of the knowledge services architecture that is currently under construction.

Al