Using metaphors to stimulate innovation #innovation

Jean Graef <jean.graef@...>

A recent article in The New Yorker, “The Intelligent Plant,” discusses the controversy surrounding research into the “intelligence” plants and remarks on the value of metaphors in stimulating the investigative imaginations of good scientists.

The article made me think about the KM role. Should we make more of an effort to identify unique, controversial, and contrarian points of view – both internal and external to our “home” organization? If so, how do we do it? One obvious connection is our work in creating and applying organization schemes (“taxonomies”), which can be used to make connections among seemingly unrelated ideas.

Has anyone else done any thinking or work along these lines?

Jean

PS – See also my blog entry on this topic.

Jean Graef

www.montague.com

@jgraef (Twitter)

montagueinstitute.wordpress.com/ (blog)