Re: Professional Services KM Framework (Software Industry) #metrics #maturity

Simard, Albert <albert.simard@...>

Thanks Thomas.  Anyone who admits to liking my stuff gets more!

There are lots of possible measures.  All of these can be absolute measures, percentages, relative to a baseline, or compared with best practices (e.g., APQC).  The following is not exhaustive – just off the top of my head.

Creation: See: http://www.slideshare.net/albertsimard/innovation-architecture

·         Publications, reports, presentations (research outputs)

·         Successful experiments, discoveries, new understanding (project success)

·         Lessons learned, management recommendations (organizational learning)

·         Innovations, prototypes, patents (products/services developed)

Knowledge Management: See: http://www.slideshare.net/albertsimard/ksen-paradigm-shift-18-opt

·         Repositories in place, documents stored, successful searches (managing assets)

·         Views, Downloads, conversations, interactions (knowledge sharing)

·         Active Communities, social networks, outputs harvested (collaboration)

Preservation: (See: http://www.slideshare.net/albertsimard/cbc-capturing-knowledge-15

·         Expertise elicited, knowledge captured (continuously)

·         Legacy content available and searchable (future usefulness)

·         Job Blog in place (how knowledge work is actually done)

Use: See: http://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/pubwarehouse/pdfs/27338.pdf

·         Distribution, accesses, views, downloads (passive knowledge transfer)

·         User interactions: explanations, consultations, demonstrations (active knowledge transfer)

·         Relevance, usability, timeliness (utility attributes)

·         User interactions: promotion, support, intervention (implementation support)

·         Implementation, application, use (the holy grail outcome!)

Al Simard