Re: KM Staffing case #value #governance

swieneke@...

Minu,

I agree with what Stan has suggested (11/14/14). Additionally, the knowledge manager should report to an executive high enough in the organization to provide the necessary autonomy for their role. The knowledge manager needs to have cross functional process literacy ("know their organiation").

Depending on the number of CoPs, please consider additionally creating the role of knowledge asset manager (KAM). The KAM is not a direct report to the knowledge manager. The knowledge manager facilitates a group of KAMs (span of control/communication issue). The CoPs can be grouped in a variety of methods; commentary topics, organizational structure, location within an overall process. Within each CoP group, a KAM is selected preferably by management. The KAMs retain their current organizational responsibilities and additionally become the local go-to-person for knowledge management processes and support. The knowledge manager is responsible for training and communicating knowledge techniques, tools and processes for the KAMs.

Regards,

Steven Wieneke

Enterprise Learning & Knowledge Awareness Coaching

Wieneke & Wieneke, Inc.

elkawareness.com

Cell: 248.535.0427