Re: Employee-created Company Values #vision #culture

David Snowden <snowded@...>

I think communication through metaphor has great value (and use it).  I also think its more valuable than examples.  Examples lead to immitation, metaphor to applying a new concept to ones unique situation.

I don't buy the "people think its causal, so explain it in causal terms" - you just perpetuate bad thinking.  Better to create a metaphor and engage them in action - the theory can wait until they have the experience to understand it and engaging in intractable or difficult problems is one way to get people to experiment - they know the old ways don't work.  Of course some people just never get things, until half the market has already understood them - so if you want to sell to them OK, you would compromise, but as long as their are early adopters around I know where I prefer to work!

Software is fascinating in this respect (and I am working with some of the Agile people).  Not many people have yet got the concept that these days you don't design an application, you allow the applications to emerge from the interaction of people and objects ....

Dave Snowden
Founder, The Cynefin Centre
www.cynefin.net

On 25 Feb 2006, at 08:14, Raj Datta wrote:

Great disruption Dave -- thanks for pointing this out.  I didn't mean to trivialize things and make them sound linear and mechanistic, and may have given that impression in the email, now that I look at it.  In the call and in the slides, I did stress the emergent nature of the behavior that we seek, and am on board with your thinking.

However, this brings up another interesting question that I would like to raise.  What is the best mechanism for communicating about emergent phenomena?

Stories, analogies, and metaphors clearly help, visualization may help.  But if your audience is made up of left-brained rationalists who believe in cause and effect and linear deterministic relationships (which, let's face it, is dominant) , then how do you explain emergent phenomena to them.  I have had discussions with people where they have asked whether culture comes first or process or technology in how you deploy a change program!  I have used phrases like "interdependent, interlinked, inter-related" to describe culture, intellectual capital etc.  But some people don't understand even that.  As a change agent or salesperson, sometimes  you have to be able to communicate with the stakeholders in terms that they understand.  And sometimes that has to be reduced down to cause and effect or inputs and outputs which they may more easily relate to.  But then you're not doing justice to the actual nature or complexity of the phenomena.

Look at the software development world -- we have managed it as if it were a set of linear deterministic activities historically.  Recently of course, the Agile Software Development movement has brought attention to the interdependent collaborative and non-deterministic nature of that work.  But the question still remains on how to communicate in a rational world about such phenomena -- it is challenge.

Any thoughts?