From: katepugh@... [sikmleaders]
To: sikmleaders
Cc: mfox
Sent: Tue, Feb 24, 2015 11:51 am
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Your KM vision requested

Hello, SIKM Leaders
I just sent this to Stan -- this was memory road!

Kate

from March, 2012 SIKM leaders Yahoo Group . Compiled by Megan Fox (CIO and CKO for Jobs for the Future)  – Kate’s headings

Value measurement / Closed-loop building the Capacity to act
Knowledge is the core strategic resource; Knowledge flows efficiently
from creation to application; Knowledge work is productive and leveraged for multiple uses; Knowledge products and services support organizational competitiveness; Learning and adaptation ensure organizational sustainability.
KM is working really well for an organization when ... The organization creates the conditions (and continues to refine them – in anticipation of/ response to new developments) whereby its members and their stakeholders have access to (or the capacity to create) the knowledge they need to make decisions and take actions that add value
to the organization and its stakeholders/shareholders.
Shared purpose, collective action
People and organizations, individually and collectively, have the cognitive clarity to articulate:
       the capabilities they draw upon,
       the approaches they use,
       the systems they continuously reform and
       Have the e-platforms that enable them to acquire, apply, create and store knowledge for contexts such as realizing shared visions or minimizing the impact of disruptions
Culture
       A knowledge powered organization is an organization where all people RIP, MIX, BURN, THANK.
RIP: gather pieces of information, ideas, news, conversations,...
MIX: them individually or collectively for my/our purpose or goal and with my/our own context and culture
BURN: (like a CD) transform this knowledge in concrete actions or decisions
THANK: recognize my sources of information and inspiration in order to stimulate them to continue to produce ... and use my own results (KM process becomes a cycle)
Quality
1. Projects are finishing faster and with higher quality. Shared experience is credited with the improvements.
2. People seek out (and can find) others who have done similar work before embarking on new efforts.
3. People happily help one another within their areas of expertise and interest.
4. People have time in their schedules to focus and get work done with the understanding that they won't be interrupted.
5. Colleagues understand boundaries and the need to focus: They don't expect immediate answers when they call for assistance.
6. People continually look for ways to learn from their own experience and that of others. They wish to improve their own performance.
7. People are aware of one another's projects / struggles / successes in a general sense, and they have mechanisms to learn more quickly.
Easy
1. People can easily find materials (created by others) that they need to do their work.
2. People can easily find their own materials.
3. Making one's materials available to others is easy and painless.

Katrina Pugh
President, AlignConsulting
Editor of Smarter Innovation (chapter abstracts) (Ark Group, 2014)
Author of Sharing Hidden Know-How (Jossey-Bass/Wiley, 2011)
www.alignconsultinginc.com
617 967 3910 (m)