Re: Your KM vision requested #vision

katepugh@...

Just a follow up to the note below - big thanks to all of the authors from our SIKM community. I'm sorry I didn't have author names on here. You are so eloquent!

Katrina Pugh
President, AlignConsulting 
Editor of Smarter Innovation (chapter abstracts) (Ark Group, 2014)
Author of Sharing Hidden Know-How (Jossey-Bass/Wiley, 2011)
katepugh@...
www.alignconsultinginc.com
617 967 3910 (m)

-----Original Message-----
To: sikmleaders
Cc: mfox
Sent: Tue, Feb 24, 2015 11:51 am
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Your KM vision requested

Hello, SIKM Leaders
I just sent this to Stan -- this was memory road! 

Kate

from March, 2012 SIKM leaders Yahoo Group . Compiled by Megan Fox (CIO and CKO for Jobs for the Future)  – Kate’s headings

Value measurement / Closed-loop building the Capacity to act
Knowledge is the core strategic resource; Knowledge flows efficiently
from creation to application; Knowledge work is productive and leveraged for multiple uses; Knowledge products and services support organizational competitiveness; Learning and adaptation ensure organizational sustainability.
KM is working really well for an organization when ... The organization creates the conditions (and continues to refine them – in anticipation of/ response to new developments) whereby its members and their stakeholders have access to (or the capacity to create) the knowledge they need to make decisions and take actions that add value
to the organization and its stakeholders/shareholders.
Shared purpose, collective action
People and organizations, individually and collectively, have the cognitive clarity to articulate:
       the capabilities they draw upon,
       the approaches they use,
       the systems they continuously reform and
       Have the e-platforms that enable them to acquire, apply, create and store knowledge for contexts such as realizing shared visions or minimizing the impact of disruptions
Culture
       A knowledge powered organization is an organization where all people RIP, MIX, BURN, THANK. 
RIP: gather pieces of information, ideas, news, conversations,...
MIX: them individually or collectively for my/our purpose or goal and with my/our own context and culture
BURN: (like a CD) transform this knowledge in concrete actions or decisions
THANK: recognize my sources of information and inspiration in order to stimulate them to continue to produce ... and use my own results (KM process becomes a cycle)
Quality
1. Projects are finishing faster and with higher quality. Shared experience is credited with the improvements.
2. People seek out (and can find) others who have done similar work before embarking on new efforts.
3. People happily help one another within their areas of expertise and interest.
4. People have time in their schedules to focus and get work done with the understanding that they won't be interrupted.
5. Colleagues understand boundaries and the need to focus: They don't expect immediate answers when they call for assistance.
6. People continually look for ways to learn from their own experience and that of others. They wish to improve their own performance.
7. People are aware of one another's projects / struggles / successes in a general sense, and they have mechanisms to learn more quickly.
Easy
1. People can easily find materials (created by others) that they need to do their work.
2. People can easily find their own materials.
3. Making one's materials available to others is easy and painless.

Katrina Pugh
President, AlignConsulting 
Editor of Smarter Innovation (chapter abstracts) (Ark Group, 2014)
Author of Sharing Hidden Know-How (Jossey-Bass/Wiley, 2011)
www.alignconsultinginc.com 
617 967 3910 (m)

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Cohen howardscohenmba@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...>
To: sikmleaders <sikmleaders@...>
Sent: Tue, Feb 24, 2015 9:38 am
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Your KM vision requested

The future of KM

Vision "looking for a needle in a haystack" at the same time "drinking from a firehose"

Knowledge as entered into a system is explicit.  The area of consideration moving forward in knowledge management is essentially in two major areas of engagement (parts).   

• We need to enter content into a system.
  • We need to discover content from a system.

The future of knowledge management is the elimination or decrease in our awareness of supporting systems and capabilities.  

Information is scraped from multiple repositories.  The user interface for the repositories will be from many systems past, present and future. 

The future is a cognitive computing engine of some form with a voice or text based interface where a user asks a question in natural language and gets an answer in natural language.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:43 AM, 'John McQuary' jmcquary@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Jim,

Two trends…

1.      When the economy really turns positive (3 years?), we will see the forecasted uptick in retirements and the associated loss of deep expertise / experiential knowledge. Organizations that have focused on developing their next generation of experts will see opportunities to create competitive advantage and capture greater market share.
2.      The Internet of Things (IoT) will result in exponentially greater connection with devices and services creating opportunities to leverage knowledge in new and innovative ways.

Sent: Friday, February 20, 2015 7:44 AM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] Your KM vision requested

Folks, on behalf of our research group, APQC would like to enlist your assistance. Please note the request below and if you are interested, simply post a reply in this group. I don’t think that this request violates any group use rules, but if it does please accept my apologies.

APQC is asking KM professionals to give us 75-100 words on the following question…

‘What trend, innovation, or development do you anticipate having the greatest impact on KM over the next 3 years, and why?’

We will collect all the answers and post best ones to our blog and to our knowledge base where our 450 member companies will have access to it. Along with your response, please include name, a 1-sentence bio, and any links to Social Media profiles you are active on so if we post your answer people will be able to connect with you on Social Media.

Please return your answer by end of day February27th.
----------------------------------
Jim Lee
KM Senior Adviser, APQC
+1-713-685-4764 – vmail (office)
+1-216-338-3548 – mobile (direct)
www.apqc.org
Make Best Practices Your PracticesSM

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.