Re: Enterprise Patterns of User Profiles #expertise-location #profiles

Harman Jon GBJH <jon.harman@...>

I looked at various systems (e.g. Metasight from The Morphix Company) for generating user profiles several years ago.  They did this by looking at titles of emails that people sent and received and so deduced the interests and likely skills of that person.  As you can imagine there were many data protection concerns at that time and probably still would be now.  However, the world is moving this way – Amazon knows what I am interested in because of my activity on its site.   

I would recommend that the profiles are stored in one central place, such as Sharepoint profiles, and then other systems look up on this. 

Jon Harman
R&D Networks and Knowledge Management Team

Networks & Learning Lead

Office: Jealott's Hill, Building 89/8
Phone: +44 (0)1344 41 3868     
Mobile: +44 (0)77383 12889                         
e-mail: jon.harman@...  

Sent: 20 March 2015 14:31
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] Enterprise Patterns of User Profiles

Good Morning SIKM! 

One of the best things about working in this space is there is always something to learn.  I am thinking about a challenge that I haven't had to deal with before and I wonder if any of you have experience or advice for me.   

We have a number of systems that have user profile information.  For example, a talent management system will have name, address, image, uid etc. and a CMS SharePoint or other could house the same kind of data but in many cases a user will have to update this information themselves.    I have seen some enterprise service patterns that use LDAP to feed certain data to various systems but I am curious if there is a system or capability that itself is an enterprise resource to provision enterprise user information.   The other question is that would this same system or capability be able to ! compose or pull content from other systems to perform some analysis.    What are your thoughts or experiences?  

Best, 
Howie 

Syngenta Limited, Registered in England No 2710846
Registered Office : Syngenta Limited, European Regional Centre, Priestley Road, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YH, United Kingdom

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the designated recipient, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the original and any copies. Any use of the message by you is prohibited.

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.