Re: Rethinking KM - Transactional and Strategic KM #definition #strategy

Douglas Weidner

Dear Dr. Randhir,

Happy New Year to all as well.

I fully agree with your personal insights, we witness in the KM Certification realm as well

KM function growing in stature within organizations

And, I like your comment.

For an organization to be more agile, flexible or innovative, it has to adopt KM practices. 

But in my experience, I would change its focus somewhat, to wit:

“The world is entering into the K Age (economy, society, … whatever) and KM successfully enables the requisite transformation.”

So, KM isn’t just a toolbox of tactical skills and approaches, as desirable as they may be, but KM addresses the strategic, transformational issues as well, of which there are many.

Douglas Weidner, Chief CKM Instructor

Chairman, International Knowledge Management Institute

Home of KMBOK™, KMM™ and the KM Transformation Solution
www.kminstitute.org

Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2016 12:43 PM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] Rethinking KM - Transactional and Strategic KM

Dear All,

Wish you a Happy, Prosperous and Knowledge filled 2016.

I continue my series of mails on redefining and rethinking on the way KM is positioned. As a practitioner I can see KM function growing in stature within organizations, demanding a focus as core as that of HR, Marketing, Finance, Operations etc.

Reviews are happening in organizations on how last year was and how to improve. One of the interesting suggestion I got on KM from my leadership group was that, it is becoming too transactional and should become more strategic. 

I was happy with that comment, because it meant that business leaders could see that there is more that KM can offer. It would be interesting to learn and define the strategic part of KM.

While thinking of strategic part of KM, I realised that KM plays a more prominent role as compared to any other function in the growth of an organization. For an organization to be more agile, flexible or innovative, it has to adopt KM practices. 

I would love to hear from you on your thoughts in this regard.

Thanks

Dr.Randhir Pushpa

Join main@SIKM.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.