Re: Knowledge Transfer Tool #knowledge-retention #knowledge-transfer

David Smith <davidlamarsmith@...>

We are in agreement. I was just providing my experience. The Master Classes is an excellent way to pass knowledge to peers and others who seek knowledge from the retiree. Anything done to save the knowledge for easy retrieval is a plus.

David Smith

On Jul 14, 2016, at 9:28 PM, Wendy Valot wcvalot@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

I can't quite tell, David, if you are agreeing with some of the insight I shared or not.

To clarify, I wasn't condoning documents or videos, either.....especially if they are not utilized.

To clarify:
a) With Knowledge categorization -- it would be critical knowledge.  So we agree there.  I was adding that it should, ideally, be sorted [on line, searchable] in your company or client's existing taxonomy.  For me that it usually by major discipline and roles within that discipline.
b) With Masters Classes -- again -- it's meant to be live with the benefit of the insight being what it passed along in that session.  I think of it as a type of accelerated apprenticeship.... to give a small group / audience insight into how that expert thinks and makes decisions.

I hope that helps!
Wendy Valot

To: sikmleaders@...
From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 19:14:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Knowledge Transfer Tool -- for Maximum future value

I’ve done videos with retirees and various elicitation sessions and ended with documents and videos that are really not used. Concentrating on the critical knowledge needed by peers and the retiree’s organization at least solves their initial worries.

Good luck.
David Smith

On Jul 14, 2016, at 4:51 PM, Wendy Valot wcvalot@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Jeffrey, David and All,

This is a great conversation stream, and much needed in organizations -- not just for retirees, but for all organizations that are or will be in flux.

I wanted to continue this discussion stream with points on two topics: a) knowledge categorization and b) masters classes.

a) Knowledge Categorization
To add to David Smith's great insight below -- I would say 'begin with the end in mind' -- i.e.  the template will have the most future value if it includes a way to organize the insight for future use.  With that in mind - my key question would be:
  • What are the top 5 to 10 job responsibilities for which the expert is accountable?
  • And then -- within those 5 to 10 accountabilities -- add David's questions.

Example:  If the expert's #1 job responsibility focused around developing cost or time estimates, "Estimating" could be the first level of knowledge categorization.  THEN we'd add as requirements on the template:
  • critical knowledge from retiree viewpoint -
  • resources (documents & people) of knowledge {AKA - Knowledge Source}
  • who seeks support from retiree  {Audience}
  • etc.
  • etc.

b) Masters Classes
Jeffrey -- I am hoping you have at least a few weeks time with this retiree, because -- as you know -- some of the best knowledge can't be written down or stored.  And David definitely addresses that when with his bullet item of "Build plan to transfer knowledge and fill gaps".   What I've seen work well for tacit transfer = a Masters Class....and maybe you are already planning one.  This class is not about a slide presentation by the expert.  It's about a small group of folks, the future audience for the expert's insight, getting with the expert and seeing how they truly think and solve problems.   Ideally -- the expert helps come up with scenarios in which a problem needs to be solved and there are alternative actions to take...and the audience / participants 'work' with the expert while they reason through to the correct scenario.

I hope some or all of this is helpful!   Please let me know if you'd like more insight on either the categorization scheme idea above or the Masters Class info.

Best regards,
Wendy Valot

To: sikmleaders@...
From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Knowledge Transfer Tool

Here is my general outline

Planning session with retiree
  • Determine critical knowledge from retiree viewpoint
  • Define resources (documents & people) of knowledge
  • List who seeks support from retiree

  • Determine plan to collect and store retiree knowledge library
  • Planning session with people who seek support from retiree
  • Include retiree peers and organization + include replacement
  • Determine critical knowledge needed from their viewpoint – Critical Knowledge Form is a guide
  • Compare knowledge needs with retiree knowledge list and determine knowledge gaps
  • Build plan to transfer knowledge and fill gaps

David Smith

On Jul 14, 2016, at 2:28 PM, jeffrey.keefer@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

I was asked to develop and use a knowledge transfer tool for a retiring senior staff member who has a lot of specialized knowledge we need to capture before he leaves (and before his replacement gets hired). This is similar to some knowledge audit work I am doing, though I think it requires more of a checklist that will then lead to conversations or at least prework to conversations we will then need to have about all of this.

Does anybody have a standard tool for this that I can borrow as a template and then adapt?

Thank you.

Jeffrey