From: sikmleaders@... [mailto:sikmleaders@...]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 12:04
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] Re: Knowledge Transfer Tool -- for Maximum future value

Bill: glad you are finding the approach useful.

One seemingly obvious lesson I've learned in the first step (identify critical knowledge):

Most managers and experts get bogged down trying to articulate what the expert "knows." As we understand, this can cover a broad scope and is often intangible.

A better question is "what are the expert's key roles or tasks." These are much more visible and amenable to task analysis. Of course some of the expert's work will be based on tacit experience, but this becomes easier to articulate when you focus on specific tasks (troubleshooting, design,etc.)

Another benefit is that you can easily observe the learner performing the task and judge their capabilities. This gives you and the organization confidence that successful knowledge transfer has occurred.

--Jeff