Re: Knowledge Transfer Tool #knowledge-retention #knowledge-transfer

Nancy White

Wow, if my life had more organization and time, this would be a great thread to summarize. Recently I've been working with communities of and surrounding people with developmental disabilities and there is a process called Person Centered Planning (http://rtc.umn.edu/docs/pcpmanual1.pdf) that uses a technique that I think lends itself to the existing knowledge worker, just a bit in reverse. Key to the process is the literal visualization of someone's dreams for themselves. For a departing K working that might be all the history stories she or he most values. The stories are told not one on one, but in a community setting where not only the person who is creating their plan speaks, but all those around her or him. Imagine this with a departing coworker. Not only a great way to visualize and connect to the departing knowledge, but to acknowledge the presence and gifts of that person. (examples: http://www.apbs.org/new_apbs/images/community-agencies-img7.jpg http://www.jackiedearden.co.uk/graphics/normal/SOL+PATH-1.jpg )

Then, afterwards, the visual artifact - while it certainly does not capture all explicit nor implicit knowledge, maps key ideas to the person and the knowlege. Things are somehow more accessible.

This visualized approach shows up in things like the business model canvas and the many variants that have emerged. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Model_Canvas http://www.businessmodelgeneration.com/canvas/bmc and others

Just a little visual thought triggered from the mind map suggestion!

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:14 AM, 'Randhir R.P' randhir.rp@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

While doing Knowledge transfer (KT) when an employee leaves ensures that their knowledge is captured, isn't it a reactive approach? It is also a difficult situation to do KT since employees may not be motivated to share their knowledge. Shouldn't organizations go for a proactive approach where they identify the critical knowledge that the organization needs to know and capture the same from its employees. Once a Knowledge dictionary is created on the different sets of critical knowledge that a organization needs to safe guard, the same can be captured through the different knowledge capturing techniques.

This approach has got two benefits. One benefit is that they get better quality knowledge and the employee sharing the knowledge will also be under the obligation to share. The second benefit is that KT will be managed in a much better way. When an employee exits organization will be clear what they might lose and accordingly plan the KT (if required).

Regards

Randhir

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Nancy Dixon nancydixon@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

This is an important question and others have provided some very useful ideas. I would like to add to the discussion the issue of  type of knowledge that the organization is trying to transfer; e.g. explicit, implicit, or tacit.  Explicit knowledge can be captured by a well designed form which includes, among other topics, both responsibilities and critical contracts.  Implicit knowledge can be transferred by many of the methods already suggested. It is also helpful when conducting an interview with the leaving person, to have 1 or 2 of the possible replacements there to ask questions that the interviewer may not have considered.

For tacit knowledge, there is need to have the replacement engage in a three part process that would occur over several weeks where the replacement is actively engaged in problem solving along with the expert,  1) observe the expert and then the two sit down together to reflect on the actions of the expert, several times; 2) to be observed by the expert as the replacement attempts to take similar actions and to again reflect together, several times; and 3) for the replacement to teach another, that is to become the expert  - we learn when we teach!.

 I have written about the process to transfer tacit knowledge  at http://www.nancydixonblog.com/2015/01/transferring-expertise-the-best-way-to-move-tacit-knowledge.html  I have also have a video that briefly describes the same process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR4PGLwAjZE
Nancy

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Jeffrey Keefer jeffrey.keefer@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Thank you, Randhir. Yes, I believe enough different examples were shared that I was able to draft a process and steps for this work that may work in our situation. Two of the valuable take-aways for me include:

1.   There is not a single, magic bullet for doing this, and as such a shared method for Knowledge Transfer (when a staff member exits an organization) does not appear to exist. This is both helpful (I am not doing it “wrong,” as there does not appear to be a documented “right” way for doing this) and challenging (I like to work within a community of practice, so prefer to learn from people who have had far more experience than I have in navigating these steps).

2.   What works in some environments (such as technical corporate structures) and functional groups (such as IT or high-tech positions) does not immediately or naturally translate to others (such as nonprofits or intrinsic, non-technical knowledge work).

I developed a draft document for this and submitted it to my workgroup last night for review and feedback.

Since then, another person doing somewhat unique work has also announced he will be leaving, so will have a quick time to get this in shape and pilot, probably starting later this week.

Many thanks again to our group here for all the help. Fantastic community of professionals and colleagues whose willingness to share is unmatched in many of my other groups!

Jeffrey Keefer, Ph.D.

Director of Training and Knowledge Management

The Trust for Public Land

Creating Parks and Protecting Land for People

666 Broadway, 9th Floor

New York, NY 10012

Office: 212-574-6882

Cell: 917-837-2788