Re: Any Experience Here with Virtual Agents/Chat Bots? #AI #call-center

Stephen Bounds

Hi Rob,

Fully agree. Chatbots are definitely hitting 'peak hype' and it's sounding like a classic IT-driven project to me.

Being more charitable, I can see four reasons to choose chatbots over other existing interfaces:

  • Selective information visibility - lists of hundreds of items can be overwhelming to navigate. Chatbots hide information until it is deemed appropriate to present in context.
  • Conversational - the natural back and forth approach of conversation is highly intuitive to people, especially those less familiar with technology
  • Guided decision making - rather than putting the full cognitive burden for decision-making on people, chatbots can help people make the right choices without remembering all factors they should be taking into consideration
  • Visible history - chatbots maintain full past history of actions in the same window. This can be useful in some circumstances

Not all of these are equally compelling but I think they are legit in the right circumstances. It would be nice to know which of these IT has in mind :)

Cheers,
-- Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Director & Principal Consultant
knowquestion Pty Ltd
E: sb@...
M: 0401 829 096
On 26/01/2017 2:03 AM, Robert Bogue rbogue@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Jamie –

Can I suggest that you have them define the requirements before building starts?  This feels like a “it’s cool” project rather than one that’s being pursued to address a specific objective.

If you start with what are the barriers or friction points that you hope to solve – and then drive into enough detail to identify the content that needs to be highlighted… you may find that you’ll end up driving the Chat bot with search in the first place.  If that’s the case, you could work on getting it so that search returned the right results.  From there if you still needed the additional interface of a chat bot it could be built…

You may not be able to stop this train but I tend to like train tracks down before I get the train rolling.

Rob

Robert L. Bogue