Re: Calculating KM employees' productivity #value #metrics

Albert Simard

Muray -

In developing the social context framework (published as an IGI book chapter) I note that many key internal human attributes, such as internal values, perceived safety, or personal interests cannot be observed, let alone, measured.  What we can observe are outward behavioral indicators, such as participation in groups, willingness to share, or people skills.  Notwithstanding our inability to measure things, there are identifiable management (not HR) actions that can be taken to improve the social context that underlies social interaction.  For example, management can support communities of practice, provide a safe trusting environment, and/or lead by example to enhance collaboration.

The key problem was how to present a holistic picture of 77 social context criteria and 1200 indicators in a way that management could easily identify one to three criteia that most needed action.  It was literally two years after the original framework was developed that I hit on the idea of presenting the framework as a decision tree that enabled rapid filtering.  With this structure, management can identify a desirable goal, such as enhancing collaboration, and then examine only the six collaboration criteria with their asociated indicators and management actions.  Interestingly, this simple use of the complex framework only occurred to me when I responded to a question following a presentation six months after the chapter was published.

So, we have a year to develop the original framework, two years of waiting until necessity resulted in a decision tree presentation, and another six-month delay until a question made me realize that I needed to shift from a backward to a forward-chaining approach.  That is, start with the problem to be solved and then consider appropriate solutions to that probvlem.  It all seems so obvious in retrospect.