Re: Calculating KM employees' productivity #value #metrics

Stephen Bounds

Hi Soha,

One other thought. Just on Friday I was talking to a Chief Information Security Officer who was also lamenting the difficulty of both determining and assigning the value of security activities to particular service lines of their company.

Since the work of security is in many ways quite analogous to that of KM (albeit couched as risk avoidance rather than productivity gains), I thought I would share their novel approach to dealing with the problem. They are developing a four stage process that goes like this:

  1. Identify and (optionally) categorise the interventions you are doing as part of your security program and estimate % of effort on each
  2. Establish to what extent each intervention supports the mitigation of risks for each project or service line that the security program supports
  3. Estimate the total accrued value for the organisation due to avoided risk
  4. Assign and report two ways:
    • business value associated to each project / service line based on calculated security intervention impact
    • business value of each security initiative based on the calculated intervention alignment

This is easily adapted to a KM program evaluation. Just replace "security" with "KM" and "risk" with "benefit". Since hearing of this approach, I have been working on developing a method to apply this systematically to KM programs as a full-blown RROI calculator.

I have so say it is showing some real promise. While there inevitably still some subjective judgements involved, it makes assumptions clearer and helps to meaningfully allocate KM benefits across an organisation.

Happy to discuss further online or offline if this is of interest.

Cheers,
-- Stephen.
Stephen Bounds
Director & Principal Consultant
knowquestion Pty Ltd
E: sb@...
M: 0401 829 096
On 12/11/2017 5:17 PM, soha radwan soharadwan@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Hi Stephan,

I liked the concept, and it can be applied internally as KPIs for KM activities. But not sure how HR can think about it in terms of calculating employees productivity (Given that they want to assign number of hours to each activity, same as in production lines  related measurements )