Re: Business Case for KM #value

James Lewis

I agree with Stephen.  You need to articulate the "why" before the "how".

It may help to break it down into parts:
*  Here is our problem ...
*  The result of this problem is ....
*  We can solve for this problem by ...
*  The expected outcomes of this project are ...

If you are really stuck, I'd suggest holding an hour-long "problem statement" workshop with your key stakeholders.  It will help get down on paper what you are trying to do and has the side benefit of aligning various points of view.  Get them to collectively agree to the following (sticky notes work great here):
The problem of ...
Affects ...
The importance of which...
A successful solution would ...

If you do the problem statement workshop, spend a full hour and really press your stakeholders to dig deep.  It's time well spent and can set direction for your project, as well as give you insight into scope and scale.

Best,

Jim Lewis
Principal Consultant, KM & Collaboration
Paragon (now part of CGI)