Re: Anyone have any contacts at Ideo? #SNA-ONA-VNA

Tom Short <tom.short@...>

Wow - what a discussion that request triggered...interesting all by itself.

Regarding trying LinkedIn, yes, tried it several times.  Main issue is as Valdis has already described - I only have 3rd order and higher connections.  I figured - well, ok, so first I'll scan the list of Ideo people that I have 3rd order connections to. I'll pick the one  who would be my preferred starting point in terms of learning  more about Ideo (which is my goal).  Then I'll look at who my 3rd order connections are, send them a quick note, and ask them to do me a favor and figure out who *their* connections are to my Ideo target, use some social capital to get them to broker the intro, and away we go.

Looked good on paper - didn't work.  Not only did I not get any offers for help from the two or three people I asked in my network, I didn't even get a reply from them to my request!  The nerve of some people ;-)

Anyway, that was back in October or so.  I checked my connections again a few days ago and nothing had changed, and I'm still quite interested in finding someone there to meet with, so I figured I'd post to this group, and see if I might turn up some 2nd or 3rd order connects I didn't know I had (not everyone on this board is in my LinkedIn network, yet I still feel like I know many of you).

And fwiw, in terms of successes using LinkedIn, one thing I have used it for successfully in the past is finding IBMers.  Being an IBM alum (7 yrs with them), I feel like I can leverage Big Blue's most excellent culture of open connectivity and reach out to any IBMer (sometimes former employees, but always current ones), call them out of the blue, introduce myself as an alum, and they will talk to me.  I did this when I was interviewing with PG&E, and wanted to learn more about the company from someone with an insider's perspective.  I found a Director at IBM who listed in his LinkedIn profile 17 years of experience with PG&E before
he jointed IBM (I searched in LinkedIn using both companies as search terms) - a perfect contact for me.  Even though this gentlemen was in quite a high position, he took my call and we talked for an hour or so - right out of the blue, no appointment, no secretary.  Really quite impressive, and entirely consistent with my experience when I worked at IBM.

May be more info that you wanted - my attempt to address the various questions/topics that you all raised in your posts.

As for Dave's request - I have no objection to your posting this conversation on your blog.

Happy holidays, all.  (And I'm still looking for that Ideo contact - I'm also trying the cold-call approach - still no success).

rgds,
-Tom

--- In sikmleaders@..., "Tom Short"