From: Stephen Bounds km@... [sikmleaders]
To: sikmleaders
Sent: Wed, Jan 3, 2018 2:57 pm
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] ISO 30401 - KM standard draft available

To reply to my own email ... I realised that you may be referring to the presumption of "audit-to-consult" as product placement. You then write:
Sometimes [KM is] a stealth operation, sometimes a partnership, sometimes a slipstream, sometimes a viral experiment. The standard needs to reflect this, rather than foreshadow an audit-to-consult process.
To play devil's advocate, can any of these reasonably be called a "knowledge management system" (as distinct from being knowledge management)?
The idea of a KMS is the scope of the standard, after all. What you describe are not really systems in their own right, but rather ninja interventions to an existing system.
Cheers,
-- Stephen.
====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 4/01/2018 9:47 AM, Chris Collison chris.collison@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Hi Stephen,
The BSI version reads like is started out with good intentions as a non-prescriptive, flexible framework to prompt thought - but somehow became hijacked as a consultants’ charter with a fair degree of product placement, and subconsciously enshrining ‘our approach’ conveniently in a standard.
I do believe that people invested their time with good intent, and I’m aware that not having been involved in the meetings makes me something of an armchair critic.
I’ve made 40 comments since it was published - it’s a laborious process, but it’s important that we engage.

Overall it takes a standpoint that KM has to exist as a managed programme with policies, roles and measures.  130 clients on, my experience is that KM is a set is possible responses to the state of an organisation, applied thoughtfully and contextually and in conjunction with a much wider range of interventions and functions. Sometimes it’s a stealth operation, sometimes a partnership, sometimes a slipstream, sometimes a viral experiment. The standard needs to reflect this, rather than foreshadow an audit-to-consult process.

My view is that it needs to be wound back to something much more generic, simpler, less prescriptive, and purged of any vested interests.  Then it could genuinely be a helpful business prompt which serves the many rather than the few.
Chris

From: on behalf of "Stephen Bounds km@... [sikmleaders]"
Date: Wednesday, 3 January 2018 at 22:31
To: ActKM Discussion List , KM for Development , "sikmleaders@..."

Hi everyone,
A reminder that the draft standard for knowledge management systems (ISO 30401) now has a public draft available for comment.
From the website:
BS ISO 30401 Knowledge management systems -- Requirements
Source:
ISO
Committee:
HCS/1 - Human Capital
Categories:
Management. Human resources
Comment period start date:
23/11/2017
Comment period end date:
16/01/2018

Scope

This international standard sets requirements and provide guidelines for establishing, implementing, maintaining, reviewing and improving an effective management system for knowledge management in organizations. All the requirements of this international standard are applicable to any organization, regardless of its type or size, or the products and services it provides.
You can read the draft and make official comments by registering on the BSI site with a free login.
Who has had a chance to read the draft KM standard? Any thoughts?
Regards,
-- Stephen.