Re: ISO 30401 - KM standard draft available #standards #strategy

Murray Jennex

Well said Chris...Murray

On Jan 10, 2018, at 11:24 PM, "Chris Collison chris.collison@... [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

I completely agree with you on this Murray.

There are 50 ways to leave your lover, and probably as many ways to ‘implement’ KM.

I wrote a lighthearted piece about this a couple of years ago:  http://www.chriscollison.com/blog/2013/07/16/10-km-implementation-approaches

My biggest concern about the current draft form of the standard is that because it is framed by ISO as a “Management System”, it seems to reflect more of a top down approach by default.  “KM as a programme.”   In that world you can make recommendations for KM roles and codify your expectations a KM policy.

If your chosen route is bottom-up, or stealth, or viral, or slipstreaming behind other initiatives, then these ‘auditables’ will be less relevant.  Personally, I’d much rather see KM principles embedded in the policies which underpin the existing business functions (Recruitment, Talent Development, Project Management, Capital Investment, Strategy Development) than in a standalone document. If I was being provocative, then I could say that if you need a KM policy in perpetuity, then you’ve probably failed to embed it.

I’m still hoping that we can rescue this standard and reel it back to a guide to help leaders think strategically about the value of knowledge in their organisations, and make wise, contextual,  unprescribed choices about how they respond – with or without external advice!
It needs to work for a mature organisation which may have devolved responsibility for KM largely into the line, as well as those who have a KM Programme, or those who are looking for knowledge-related improvements rather than a blanket approach – people for whom KM is a menu of OD interventions.

I’m hoping that ISO machinery is flexible enough to support something like this.  That’s why I’m engaging and investing time in working on the draft.

Cheers,

Chris

From: <sikmleaders@...> on behalf of "Murray Jennex murphjen@... [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@...>
Date: Thursday, 11 January 2018 at 08:28
To: "sikmleaders@..." <sikmleaders@...>
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] ISO 30401 - KM standard draft available

Actually, back in the 90s my whole dissertation was on identifying the components of a stealth KMS/OMS (yes in the 90s it wasn't automatically KM, it was also Organizational Memory).  The conclusion is that knowledge happens (yes I got flack for phrasing it that way) but the key finding is that an organization will find a way to use knowledge and is using knowledge, even if there are no KM professionals/consultants around.  The way to help these organizations is to help them recognize the stealth processes they've established and to formalize them when appropriate but by all means recognize them.  I've seen KM consultants do more harm then good because they did not recognize how the organization was already using knowledge and forced them to do it their way.  I watched a leading KM consultant destroy the KM initiative in a large engineering organization (actually saw it done twice) because they convinced the organization they knew best and changed everything with the result that the rank and file refused to follow the changes.

So what does this mean for the standard?  It must recognize native approaches that already exist and not force companies to abandon them or instantly change, otherwise the standard will do more harm than good....murray jennex

From: on behalf of "Stephen Bounds km@... [sikmleaders]"
Date: Wednesday, 3 January 2018 at 22:31
To: ActKM Discussion List , KM for Development , "sikmleaders@..."

Hi everyone,

A reminder that the draft standard for knowledge management systems (ISO 30401) now has a public draft available for comment.

From the website:

BS ISO 30401 Knowledge management systems -- Requirements
Source:
ISO
Committee:
HCS/1 - Human Capital
Categories:
Management. Human resources
Comment period start date:
23/11/2017
Comment period end date:
16/01/2018

Scope

This international standard sets requirements and provide guidelines for establishing, implementing, maintaining, reviewing and improving an effective management system for knowledge management in organizations. All the requirements of this international standard are applicable to any organization, regardless of its type or size, or the products and services it provides.

You can read the draft and make official comments by registering on the BSI site with a free login.

Who has had a chance to read the draft KM standard? Any thoughts?

Regards,
-- Stephen.