Re: Thanks to Kate Pugh and Nancy Dixon: Conference call practices #conference-calls

lindamhummel <linda.hummel@...>

Edited

Re: John Smith's work on Conference call practices to generate
knowledge and record learning. This is very good and thorough
information on the process of setting up and extracting the most
knowledge sharing benefits from conference calls, especially from
the technical aspect of available tools and techniques. I agree with
Kate that the "during the call" section could be expanded to
identify ways increase participation. This moves it more into the
cultural or human aspect, and Kate provides many excellent
suggestions (I particularly like the crack a few jokes suggestion).

Based on my experience working in virtual situations (where
essentially every meeting involves someone who is participating by
conference call) and in creating/deploying a Community of Practice
framework, here are a few more suggestions or lessons learned:
- Having a solid agenda is key, but be flexible in modifying
if needed
- If you are working with a global group, the time zone issue
will be one of the most challenging. If a CoP is very large, it can
be broken into two groups, for example, North and South America is
one sub group, Europe and Asia another. Then each group can more
easily find a suitable meeting time. On a less frequent basis, both
groups meet as one(say once or twice a year) but continually share
their notes. This is where John's ideas could facilitate even better
sharing of notes and ideas. There needs to be one overall CoP lead
or coordinator.
- Again on time zone, if the group is smaller (say less than
10) but still globally dispersed, try to find a time that is
tolerated by most. For example, my KM team at Teradata spans the
globe from West coast to East coast of US, London, Spain, Tokyo and
sometimes Australia. What I found – after experimenting with
different days and times – was that Fridays worked best for most
people on the team, with one person joining at 6 am local time and
others at the end of the day and one still at night (which worked
best for that associate personally).
- Incorporate a post-meeting survey every quarter or so – asks
the participants what is working and areas for improvements; then
modify your process accordingly.
- Finally, I would say the SIKM meeting is an example of a
best practice for generating and sharing knowledge. While the notes
are done on an individual basis, the majority of calls are recorded
and stored for future use. Perhaps as a community SIKM can "pilot"
some of John's ideas on using chat or taking notes?

Best regards,
Linda Hummel, Director Global Knowledge Management
Teradata® Corporation
Cell: 937-304-3156
KM Blog: http://blogs.ncr.com/roller/KM/