Re: Does anyone have tool for cleaning reporting documentum (doc mgt system) hits and downloads? #value #metrics

Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>

This is starting to sound like "The Social Life of Documents" -- who
used what to create what-else for who-else?

Re-use is a vote of value for the document and the person/people who
created it.

Valdis Krebs
http://www.orgnet.com
http://www.networkweaving.com/blog

On Jan 9, 2008, at 6:10 PM, Bernadette Boas wrote:

John,
a question
I fully agree that the success stories and best practices that can
be shared is a much more valuable way to measure the value the
investment is making to the business. And that hits, visits,
searches, etc. do not tell you that; though they at least ensure
adoption and usage.
However, I have also had many people wanting to understand 'reuse'
of the documents made available, not to necessarily justify the
direct KM investment, but to ensure that the tangible IP knowledge
that is being provided (shared, stored, etc.) is of value; therefore
assuming it is being used to improve the business. That said,
unfortunately 'downloads' does not guarantee that the things being
downloaded are of true value of quality, completeness, etc... And
ratings and feedback are often viewed as subjective.

Have you found any effective means of measuring true 'reuse'?

Bernadette Boas

bernadette.boas@hotmail.com

To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com
From: john.mcquary@fluor.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 21:55:47 +0000
Subject: [sikmleaders] Re: Does anyone have tool for cleaning
reporting documentum (doc mgt system) hits and downloads?

Kate,

I would encourage you to look for additional methods to demonstarte
the value of knowledge sharing and collaboration. We do have
extensive usage statistics, but concentrating on them diminshes the
value of people-to-people connections. The usage metrics also tend
to drive to a cost savings perspective rather than a value generation
view.

We use our usage metrics to demonstrate the level of activity in the
tool, and use success stories to convey the value being generated.

Regards,
John McQuary
Vice President
Knowledge Management and Technology Strategies

Fluor Corporation
One Fluor Daniel Drive
Sugar Land, TX 77478-3899

281-263-2533 (w)
281-263-2101 (f)

--- In sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com, "Pugh, Katrina"
<katrina.pugh@...> wrote:

Hi, all -

We need to report the ROI for our entire knowledge management
system. At
present, the tools of collaboration and document management are
loosely
coupled. People will click through the web interface (which we can
track) but access "certified" knowledge in the document management
system.

I would like to calculate the likely reuse value based on the
number of
actual downloads (and search results) in Documentum, but the
challenge
is that I'm hearing that "the tool was not made to do that type of
reporting." The developers say that this would require capturing and
storing the log file (very very big), and then writing code to do
siphon
of our counts and metadata, and then generate reports off of it.

That seems like unusually big expense for something that would seem
me to be a very common problem among knowledge managers looking to
measure the impact of document management repositories. Has anyone
seen
or built a tool to do this?

Thanks

Kate

Katrina Pugh
VP, Knowledge Management
IT Center of Excellence
Fidelity Investments, Personal and Workplace Investing
400 Puritan Way M3J
Marlborough, MA 01752
(O) 508 357 3236
(M) 781 258 0920
katrina.pugh@...
Email <mailto:katrina.pugh@...> Confidentiality Notice: The
information in this email and subsequent attachments may contain
confidential information that is intended solely for the attention
and
use of the named addressee(s). This message or any part thereof
must not
be disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person without
authorization from Fidelity Investments.

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real
difference. Learn more