Re: KM - consulting firms #strategy #consulting

Douglas Weidner

Patrick.

Wise counsel as usual.

Douglas

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 6:16 AM, Patrick Lambe plambe@greenchameleon.com
[sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) <#m_1870049062494611317_TopText> from Patrick Lambe
included below]

Hi Chuck

I can’t resist observing that visual frameworks and metaphors speak
volumes about the worldviews of their proponents. The hierarchy model,
especially the one that places DIK in an ascending hierarchy is a heavily
IT-centric model (it was originally developed in the 1970s as a way of
legitimising better data management in organisations), it’s fairly linear
in its implication, and it’s not particularly good at representing
organisational complexity, influences and interdependencies between
elements.

Chris’s model is a landscape mapping model showing relative distances,
overlaps between different practices. It is more humanistic and socially
oriented, but it is descriptive more than prescriptive, and it is not going
to predict how to do KM well in an organisation.. It might be better at
explaining how certain practices can and should inform each other, and who
you might talk to when engaging in certain activities.

That’s not to say that I disagree with your point about the importance of
good data management, information management, knowledge management as
important enablers for an organisation’s functions. My own background is in
information science so I get all that. But I’ve learned that models and
frameworks are only as good as the conversations they serve, at the time
you are having them, and they should be dumped as soon as the model’s
implications start creating distractions or misleading implications.

I think they should be treated with some lightness of touch, to
communicate specific things, and they should not be used as doctrinal
devices to frame and plan in detail. Because they all fail at some point,
and as soon as they are used doctrinally, and pitted against other models,
you’ll find arguments and counter-arguments surfacing about differences and
shortcomings instead of dialogue about what you actually want to achieve.
They are only useful as long as they focus you on things to be done, and as
soon as they distract from that, they are not useful.

I’m thinking in particular of the very acrimonious debates that took place
on a number of KM forums in 2003-4 when the Interim Australian Standard for
Knowledge Management AS 5037 was released for discussion. A lot of the
animus was inspired, it seemed to me, from the privileging of one
(process-based) model for representing KM in that Interim Standard over
legitimate alternatives (it was dropped pretty quickly in favour of an
ecosystem metaphor). There’s no easier way to get knowledge management
professionals riled up, it seems to me, than to privilege one type of model
against others.

In that respect, I think yours and Chris’ frameworks can and should quite
happily co-exist, communicating different things for different purposes,
but useful to have on hand when needed. Not to be taken too seriously or
literally. Or too far. Stepping off the train now.

Patrick Lambe
Partner
+65 62210383

website: www.straitsknowledge.com
weblog: www.greenchameleon.com
twitter: @plambesg

Knowledge mapping made easy: www.aithinsoftware.com

On 5 Oct 2018, at 4:35 AM, chuck georgo chuck@nowheretohide.org
[sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from chuck georgo included below]

I guess, for me, the train analogy causes me discomfort as it would imply
that you can achieve effective KM (or components of KM) without effective
data/information management; I feel both are required to identify
capture, evaluate, retrieve, and share an enterprise's information assets.
In fact, most of the KM failures I have seen were attributed to either a)
weak or missing DM/IM capabilities or b) failure to connect KM value to the
organizations KPIs.

Conversely, I feel that many other process frameworks suffer when
disconnected from core KM (and DM/IM) capabilities, such as Strategic
Planning, Enterprise Architecture, Process Improvement, Program Evaluation,
and even Project Management and Application Development. After more than 30
years of observation, I can attest that the failure of these frameworks to
deliver real-world, meaningful results was because the efforts failed to
manage the data and information they consume/produce or a failure to manage
the knowledge those frameworks inherit or generate.

Great discussion….r/Chuck

Windows 10

*From: *<sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of "Cristina Whelan
cristina.whelan@gti.gt.com [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com>
*Date: *Thursday, 4 October 2018 at 10:32
*To: *"sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com" <sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com>

Thank you, John.

You suggest a very interesting approach. I certainly think we will have to
adopt a combination of disciplines, and it makes a lot of sense on paper.
My challenge is operationalising it in a sustainable way. I understand we
need to put some effort at the start to get things going and pilot some
initiatives to monitor and report success. I wanted to see if anyone has
experienced an approach that grows and develops organically without the
need for the constant push from the KM function.

Any thoughts or am I dreaming alone here?

*Cristina Whelan*

Knowledge Manager, Advisory Services

*D *+44 (0)20 7391 9528

*M *+44 (0) 7900 706468