Re: KM - consulting firms #strategy #consulting

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Murray,

Most of my comments were actually about people, process and culture rather than technology.

My answer to question “are they good to look at for KM?” Is actually the classic consultant’s answer: “it depends”. Part of that is understanding the context in which KM practices have emerged in consulting and they might similar and different to your own.

Regards,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Oct 6, 2018, at 8:33 AM, Murray Jennex murphjen@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Matt, not arguing anything you said.  I guess I'd have to ask though what do we mean by KM in consulting firms?  Are we focused on the capture, flow, sharing, and transfer of knowledge or are we focused on the technology used in consulting firms to do so?  My comments are based on managing the capture, flow, sharing, and transfer of knowledge.  As a discipline we have been saying for years that KM is NOT a technology but a fusion of practices, people, processes, and technology, and to that I agree.  I do agree that internal KM systems probably are not leading edge but only the largest consulting firms would need this, and I have seen that some do have the technology.  Smaller to mid size consulting firms, much like smaller and mid size non-consulting firms don't need to be leading edge.   That said, being small or mid sized does not make you worse at KM than a leading edge technical implementation (and I would argue that consulting firms are good at knowledge strategy so realize quickly the need to obtain leading edge technical capability, even if not implementing in their organization) organization.

I guess I'm now losing my focus on the overall discussion on consulting firms.  I believe the question was M.  My answer is yes in general with probably more emphasis on the processes and practices of KM and in agreement with Matt, not necessarily the technology used in consultant KM.....murray jennex