Re: KM framework #strategy #vision #maturity

Soha Radwan

Thanks a lot Frank

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019, 20:22:40 GMT+4, Frank Guerino frank.guerino@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Hi Soha,

You’ve received some good suggestions.  I would add that there really is no one KM framework that will fit all spaces in a mid-sized to larger organization or that will solve all your problems.  This being said, I would suggest you also look into areas such as but not limited to:

  • Library Management (LM) Structures (e.g. Libraries, composed of Catalogs, composed of Indexes, composed of Artifacts that appear uniquely and in contextualized groups)
    • This is commonly used as a means of created a “centralized” Document & Content Management framework that allows for highly organized “federated” spaces (i.e. “Communities of Practice”) that allow for individualized security and role constraints
  • Design Thinking Frameworks
    • Mostly used by non-technical business stakeholders as problem solving frameworks to address small and large problems.
    • Examples: “Double Diamond”, “IDEO’s Design Thinking Process”, “Heart, Head, Hand”, “d.school’s 5 Stage Process”, “HCD - Human Centered Design”
  • Engineering, Enterprise Architecture, and Solutions Architecture Frameworks
    • Mostly used by IT/technical organizations as problem solving frameworks to address small and large problems.
    • These frameworks are usually “far” more complex and detailed than the Design Thinking Frameworks.
    • Examples: “CMMI”, “TOGAF”, “IF4IT Solutions Architecture Framework / SAF”, “Zachman Framework”

None of the above actually gets into areas such as Data Management or Business Intelligence (such as Analytics and Reporting), which also tie heavily into organizational KM, and need to always be explored/managed.

Attempting to address your documented concerns:

  • Managing Internal vs. External Resources: Consider the Library Management Structures as a way of creating Indexed Groups of “Internal” vs. “External”, further categorized by relevant “Topics.”  You can append all knowledge assets/artifacts off the centralized Library Management backbone.
  • Knowledge Sharing: Implementing an LM structure also allow you to more effectively capture knowledge (in controlled branches of the library) and share knowledge (from controlled branches of the library).
    • NOTE: This will also make it far easier to implement search “across all branches of the Library.”
  • Employee Profiling: There are many tools (like Sharepoint and Confluence) that alredy allow you to do this.  I suggest not starting from scratch and leveraging one (or more).  Also, if your enterprise picks one of these tools, you can make it the foundation for containing and exposing your LM Structures.
  • NOTE: Do not forget that whatever frameworks you pick will have to also include dimensions or aspects such as but not limited to: Security, Audit & Compliance, Regulatory Reporting, Records Management, etc.

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank

--

Frank Guerino, Principal Managing Partner

The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)
http://www.if4it.com
1.908.294.5191 (M)

Guerino1_Skype (S)

From: SIKM Leaders on behalf of SIKM Leaders
Date: Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 1:39 AM
To: SIKM Leaders
Subject: [sikmleaders] KM framework

Hi All,

I am actually working on setting up a kind of a  high level Knowledge Management framework/ Model to wrap up the how KM is managed in the organization.

We do actually have a Knowledge and Innovation Management Strategy. We also have some Procedures written for some initiatives For example:

-  Managing internal Knowledge resources - Starting from Identifying knowledge resources (as some call it Explicit Knowledge)  to be captured all through sharing them on the internal portal  to be used and then assess the usage and utilization.

- Managing external Knowledge resources - Almost like the above initiative Procedure, but it is about knowledge resources brought in from external sources.

- Creating  Employee profiling - Something like LinkedIN - to enable collaboration

Besides some other Knowledge sharing and learning activities (online and Physical)

what do you think could be a kind of a high level KM framework/ Model from the literature could be helpful to wrap these up.

Thanks and regards,

Soha