Re: Evolution of KM 2 AI #AI

Hi Karim,

I second what Douglas said about identifying the problem you're solving. You asked for advice on meeting your goal and management expectations, but I'm not clear about what these are from your message. Can you clarify? What is the business value and outcome expected from these actions?

If I may offer my perspective...Coming from tech where I run KM from digital workspace experience group, I view us knowledge managers as product managers where our product is about knowledge and our organizations are our customers. With this framing, what is the most compelling market problem (your market being the people in your organization that will be impacted by KM) you're solving that will want to make your customers buy your product? Will it fly off the shelf? Have you done user interviews and competitive analysis, for example, to understand what is needed, what aligns with org objectives, and where you would have the distinctive advantage to be doing this work and offering a "product"?

With all of this, you will be able to more easily prioritize and focus on actions that will meet customer objectives and buyer objectives (i.e. management). You'll also be able to show the business value along the journey.

I hope this helps!

Rosanna

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019, 5:50 AM Douglas Weidner douglas.weidner@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Hi Stephen,

Excellent model.

At the KM Institute we recommend one additional step, which I think you implicitly consider, but we like to make it more explicit.

It is about the solution/action/intervention itself. To simplify, it is typically an exploit or explore scenario..
To exploit a well documented approach is relatively low risk, higher likelihood of success.

To explore, means there is no proven solution. In fact, there may not even be a better approach. To explore is obviously a less likely, higher-risk situation.

Cheers,
Douglas Weidner
Exec Chairman, Chief CKM Instructor
KM Institute

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 6:29 PM Stephen Bounds km@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Hi Karim,

While it's certainly fair to say that not all KM requires technology solutions, it is just as premature to discount technology as it is to mandate it.

The truth is that every organisation consists of a mix of people, processes, and technology. Technology externalises processes in a way that is robust, but this can often happen at the expense of resilience. Understanding the correct balance is the key.

If you're running an enterprise KM function, you need a way to prioritise work that has the biggest impact. One approach that I increasingly feel has legs is the idea of an RROI ranking of initiatives. I've attached slides of a recent talk about the idea..

(I reference IM because it was a "data management summit" but it's really a KM way of looking at the world.)

Happy to chat more about the concept if you like.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
On 1/03/2019 11:54 pm, Robert Bogue rbogue@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Karim –

I’ll comment to say that I believe that starting with the technology is the wrong end of the animal to start with.  The problem with KM in today’s environment is almost never technology.  It’s almost always attitudes and culture.  Certainly you can use technology to smooth out any barriers that are too hard to cross easily, but in truth the questions are more about what are the barriers that are preventing people from sharing their knowledge and consuming the knowledge that others have?  Once you understand the people dynamics you can come back to talk about the technologies that can help you shift those attitudes and beliefs.

Rob

Robert L. Bogue