Re: Global community platforms and languages #CoP #local #tools

Louis-Pierre Guillaume

Hi Aaron,

Not that unusual for those of us who have lead enterprise community management programs in multinational companies.

Before answering fully, I would ask some questions:
  • Could you define what is a community for you?
  • How many communities do you have?
  • How many communities of practice (CoP), organized with a leader, sponsor, charter ... ?
  • How many people per community? Min, max, average?
  • Do you have a community management program that federates and support the CoPs ? The other communities?
  • Internal or external communities, or a mix of both?
When I was the Director of Knowlegde Management at Schneider Electric, we looked at TEAMS vs YAMMER.

TEAMS
TEAMS is OK if you have communities with less than 50 members. Beyond, the management of the members is a chore.
The teams in TEAMS are private by default. Not good for serendipity.
There is no list of the teams in TEAMS. So, impossible to find out which communities I could be a member of.

YAMMER
Good for large communities beyond 50 members
YAMMER groups are open by default; good for serendipity
Easy to find the group you want to be a member of.

LANGUAGE
For YAMMER, Schneider Electric chose English for multi-country communities. For local one, they could keep their own language.
For TEAMS, as it is a closed environment, up to the members.

COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT
Schneider Electric has a central team with one FTE who leads the 200 communities of practice. The 2000+ "communities" on Yammer and the 10000+ teams on TEAMS are on their own. The program promotes a framework, with best practices, rules, and measurement. The leaders of the CoPs are organised in a CoP (we eat our own dog food :-).

Hoping I have answered some of your questions,

Cheers
Louis-Pierre

Louis-Pierre Guillaume
Consulting in Knowledge Management, Communities & Collaboration
+33 6 10 33 63 21
louis-pierre.guillaume@...

www.amallte.com

LinkedIn - Twitter - Medium

Le mar. 26 mars 2019 à 17:35, Aaron F Buchsbaum abuchsbaum@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> a écrit :

Hi friends,

I have a rather gnarly, but not unusual problem.

I am asked to create a community platform. Ideal functions are file sharing, calendar, and discussions. Everything else is nice-to-have.

The user base comes from (1) at least 57 different countries, (2) in general are time-deprived, (3) have widely varying levels of familiarity with computers and web browsing, and (4) speak different languages.

Can anyone speak to this type of scenario, and how to promote multi-lingual ease-of-use and interaction generally? Happy to hear thoughts from platform/technology end as well as facilitation/community management end.

Massive thanks for your thoughts. Bonus points if you have used ‘Adobe Communities’ or ‘Microsoft Teams’ (or Slack) in similar scenarios.

Aaron Buchsbaum | Knowledge Management Officer

The World Bank. Washington, DC

P:   202.473.9711

E:   abuchsbaum@...

   #investinpeople